- IceHogs drop Wolves 4-3 at home
- Man sentenced to 12 years in fatal hit-and-run
- White House fence jumper charged with kicking Secret Service dogs
- Man arrested on child pornography charges
- Woman hit with liquor bottle during home invasion
- Police arrest robbery suspect
- Rockford area trick-or-treat times
- The Odds Man: Three road dogs good bets in NFL Week 8
- IceHogs nipped in third period, return home Saturday
- BGA sues Chicago Police Department over transparency
Letter to Dr. LaVonne Sheffield
Editor’s note: The following letter was sent to District 205 Superintendent Dr. LaVonne Sheffield and the Rockford Board of Education members. The writer wishes to submit it as an open letter to them and the community.
Nov. 25, 2009
Dear Dr. Sheffield and Members of the Board of Education,
In the last several months, District 205 has spent thousands of dollars downtown on reconfiguring walls and offices, landscaping and other cosmetics, as well as hundreds of thousands on new administrative positions—all expenditures that are far removed from the classroom.
A student art contest is now under way to create a holiday greeting card that will be sent to all District 205 families and staff. It’s a nice idea, and Unity 205 understands the spirit in which it is intended.
While we would not presume to speak for the district’s families, our coalition respectfully suggests that valuable district resources not be used for the production and sending of holiday greeting cards to our seven union memberships.
A far more powerful expression of the goodwill message of the season would be the development of systematically collaborative relationships with our groups and good-faith bargaining.
We also believe the best way
to celebrate great student artists
is to return their vibrant work to the walls of Room 202 and Administration Building lobby. What better place to showcase the talents and promise of so many of our students than the location of major decision-making regarding the opportunities afforded them?
Mary Beth Mickelson/Unity 205
1,275 School Bus Drivers
3,210 Food Service Workers IEA/NEA Locals
Educational Office Personnel Association (EOPA)
Educational Interpreters Association (EIA)
Rockford Education Association (REA)
Rockford Building Maintenance Association (RBMA)
From the December 2-8, 2009 issue