- The Rock River Times - http://rockrivertimes.com -
Better Business Bureau offers safe holiday shopping tips
Posted By Staff On December 9, 2009 @ 12:00 am In News | No Comments
From press release
This year, as more shoppers than ever before hunt for great deals, many people are using the Internet to decide where, when and how to get the best deals for their money. The Better Business Bureau (BBB) of Chicago and northern Illinois advises savvy shoppers looking for good deals both in stores and online to not only do their research on www.bbb.org, but consider the following advice.
Refunds and exchange policies
Whether shopping online or in stores, consumers should pay extra attention to refund and exchange policies. Some businesses give refunds; some issue store credits only; some consider all sales to be final. A store is not legally required to accept items for refund, exchange or credit unless the merchandise is defective or was misrepresented. The BBB reminds shoppers to know their return rights before making the purchase. It’s always better to ask than to assume.
“Many consumers are extremely comfortable shopping online and simply don’t consider the threat of identity theft or unscrupulous retailers during the holiday season,” said Dennis Horton, director of the Rockford Regional Office of the BBB serving Chicago and northern Illinois. “While the online environment has become a thriving, trusted marketplace, e-commerce has also opened a door and created a ripe environment for scammers to set up shop online and start ripping people off.”
Top 10 online shopping tips
BBB offers the following “Top 10 Shopping Tips” for holiday shoppers to help prevent being taken in by unscrupulous retailers, scammers and hackers whether online or in a store:
1. Protect your computer—A computer used for online shopping should always have the most recent updates installed for spam filters, anti-virus and anti-spyware software, and a secure firewall.
2. Use trustworthy Web sites—Shoppers should start with the BBB to check on the seller’s reputation and record for customer satisfaction. Always look for a “trustmark” from BBBOnLine and click on that seal to confirm it’s valid.
4. Trust your gut—Offers on Web sites and in unsolicited e-mails or store advertisements can often sound too good to be true. Consumers should always go with their instincts and not be afraid to pass up a “deal” that might cost them dearly in the end.
5. Beware of phishing—Legitimate businesses do not send e-mails claiming problems with an order or an account to lure the “buyer” into revealing financial information. If a consumer receives such an e-mail, BBB recommends picking up the phone and calling the contact number on the Web site where the purchase was made to confirm that there really is a problem with the transaction.
6. Confirm your online purchase is secure—Shoppers should always look in the address box for the “s” in https:// and in the lower right corner for the “lock” symbol before paying. If there are any doubts about a site, BBB recommends right-clicking anywhere on the page and select “Properties.” This will let you see the real URL (Web site address) and the dialog box will reveal if the site is not encrypted.
7. Pay with a credit card—It’s best to use a credit card, because under federal law, the shopper can dispute the charges if he or she doesn’t receive the item. Shoppers also have dispute rights if there are unauthorized charges on their credit card, and many card issuers have “zero liability” policies under which the cardholder pays nothing if someone steals the credit card number and uses it.
8. Keep documentation of your order—After completing the online order process, there may be a final confirmation page, or the shopper might receive confirmation by e-mail—BBB recommends saving a copy of the Web page and any e-mails for future reference and as a record of the purchase.
9. Check your credit card statements often—Don’t wait for paper statements; BBB recommends consumers check their credit card statements for suspicious activity by either calling credit card companies or by checking statements online regularly.
10. Know your rights—Federal law requires that orders made by mail, phone or online be shipped by the date promised or, if no delivery time was stated, within 30 days. If the goods aren’t shipped on time, the shopper can cancel and demand a refund. There is no general three-day cancellation right, but consumers do have the right to reject merchandise if it’s defective or was misrepresented. Otherwise, it’s the company’s policies that determine if the shopper can cancel the purchase and receive a refund or credit.
For more advice about staying safe online this holiday season, and to see reports about thousands of online retailers, go to www.bbb.org.
From the Dec. 9-15, 2009 issue
Article printed from The Rock River Times: http://rockrivertimes.com
URL to article: http://rockrivertimes.com/2009/12/09/better-business-bureau-offers-safe-holiday-shopping-tips/
URLs in this post:
 Image: http://delicious.com/post?url=http%3A%2F%2Frockrivertimes.com%2F2009%2F12%2F09%2Fbetter-business-bureau-offers-safe-holiday-shopping-tips%2F&title=Better+Business+Bureau+offers+safe+holiday+shopping+tips
 Image: http://digg.com/submit?url=http%3A%2F%2Frockrivertimes.com%2F2009%2F12%2F09%2Fbetter-business-bureau-offers-safe-holiday-shopping-tips%2F&title=Better+Business+Bureau+offers+safe+holiday+shopping+tips&bodytext=From+press+release%0D%0AThis+year%2C+as+more+shoppers+than+ever+before+hunt+for+great+deals%2C+many+people+are+using+the+Internet+to+decide+where%2C+when+and+how+to+get+the+best+deals+for+their+money.+The+Better+Business+Bureau+%28BBB%29+of+Chicago+and+northern+Illinois+advises+savvy+shoppers+looking+for+good+deals+both+in+stores+an
 Image: http://www.facebook.com/sharer.php?u=http%3A%2F%2Frockrivertimes.com%2F2009%2F12%2F09%2Fbetter-business-bureau-offers-safe-holiday-shopping-tips%2F&t=Better+Business+Bureau+offers+safe+holiday+shopping+tips
 Image: http://www.reddit.com/submit?url=http%3A%2F%2Frockrivertimes.com%2F2009%2F12%2F09%2Fbetter-business-bureau-offers-safe-holiday-shopping-tips%2F&title=Better+Business+Bureau+offers+safe+holiday+shopping+tips
 Image: http://www.stumbleupon.com/submit?url=http%3A%2F%2Frockrivertimes.com%2F2009%2F12%2F09%2Fbetter-business-bureau-offers-safe-holiday-shopping-tips%2F&title=Better+Business+Bureau+offers+safe+holiday+shopping+tips
 Image: http://twitter.com/home/?status=http%3A%2F%2Frockrivertimes.com%2F2009%2F12%2F09%2Fbetter-business-bureau-offers-safe-holiday-shopping-tips%2F
 Image: http://rockrivertimes.com/2009/12/09/better-business-bureau-offers-safe-holiday-shopping-tips/feed
Copyright © 2009 The Rock River Times. All rights reserved.