- Tales from the Trough: IceHogs rebound with four straight wins
- Clean water groups, small business owners, community leaders celebrate Clean Water Act
- Police investigate death of 71-year-old man who was struck in October while riding in his wheelchair
- Woman gets 10 years for 2013 involuntary manslaughter
- Secretary of State Police to target abuse of disability parking on Black Friday
- Illinois Commerce Commission approves 500-mile direct-current electric wind power line
- Meet John Doe: Rockford could benefit from the new Digital Manufacturing and Design Innovation Institute in Chicago
- Tech-Friendly: Surface Pro 3 ad comparing it to MacBook Air is a joke
- Chicago restaurateur Billy Lawless to introduce Obama during immigration speech in Chicago
- Travel Wisconsin Snow Conditions Report assists snow seekers
Lucia Fest Dec. 12 at First Lutheran Church
From press release
First Lutheran Church’s 51st Annual Lucia Fest will be from 9 a.m. to noon, Saturday, Dec. 12, at the church, 225 S. Third St., in Rockford’s Haight Village.
The event includes a Lucia Queen and her Candy Girl, as well as a table of treasures, beautiful hand-crafted items, a bake sale, refreshments, and continuous music.
Among the featured musical groups and musicians will be the Bach Chamber Choir, the French Horn Club of Rockford, Michael Hillestad, piano, and others.
First Lutheran’s Lucia Day celebrates the Swedish Festival of Lights holiday.
According to legend, Lucia was a medieval saint who carried food and drink to hungry people during a period of famine. She was seen dressed in a white gown with a crown of lights. In Sweden, the Lucia Day is celebrated all over the country in every home, school and workplace on the morning of Dec. 13.
For more information about First Lutheran’s Lucia Fest, contact the church office at (815) 962-6691.
From the Dec. 9-15, 2009 issue