- Meet John Doe: Businesses, politicians and gov’t should follow junk email laws
- Entertainment abound for this week’s First Friday
- State Roundup: Special election dates set
- Test drive: the 2015 Ford F-150
- Fracking never on a path to sustainability
- Indiana boxes itself into legal corner
- TRRT April 1-7 | Online Edition
- Guest Commentary: the Rockford Apartment Association
- State Roundup: NIU employee improperly reimbursed $30K
- State Roundup: Governor signs budget fix bills
Lucia Fest Dec. 12 at First Lutheran Church
From press release
First Lutheran Church’s 51st Annual Lucia Fest will be from 9 a.m. to noon, Saturday, Dec. 12, at the church, 225 S. Third St., in Rockford’s Haight Village.
The event includes a Lucia Queen and her Candy Girl, as well as a table of treasures, beautiful hand-crafted items, a bake sale, refreshments, and continuous music.
Among the featured musical groups and musicians will be the Bach Chamber Choir, the French Horn Club of Rockford, Michael Hillestad, piano, and others.
First Lutheran’s Lucia Day celebrates the Swedish Festival of Lights holiday.
According to legend, Lucia was a medieval saint who carried food and drink to hungry people during a period of famine. She was seen dressed in a white gown with a crown of lights. In Sweden, the Lucia Day is celebrated all over the country in every home, school and workplace on the morning of Dec. 13.
For more information about First Lutheran’s Lucia Fest, contact the church office at (815) 962-6691.
From the Dec. 9-15, 2009 issue