- First case of Ebola confirmed in the United States
- 20-year sentence in 2013 homicide
- Parolee arrested after search warrant at RHA property
- Olympic star Michael Phelps arrested on second DUI charge
- Former NIU QB Harnish signed to Vikings practice squad
- Man arrested after ax incident
- The Odds Man: Chicago, Detroit, San Diego good bets in Week 4
- Updated: Roosevelt High School evacuated after bomb threat
- Grand jury: No charges against Tony Stewart
- Laurent House to remain open for tours throughout the year
Lucia Fest Dec. 12 at First Lutheran Church
From press release
First Lutheran Church’s 51st Annual Lucia Fest will be from 9 a.m. to noon, Saturday, Dec. 12, at the church, 225 S. Third St., in Rockford’s Haight Village.
The event includes a Lucia Queen and her Candy Girl, as well as a table of treasures, beautiful hand-crafted items, a bake sale, refreshments, and continuous music.
Among the featured musical groups and musicians will be the Bach Chamber Choir, the French Horn Club of Rockford, Michael Hillestad, piano, and others.
First Lutheran’s Lucia Day celebrates the Swedish Festival of Lights holiday.
According to legend, Lucia was a medieval saint who carried food and drink to hungry people during a period of famine. She was seen dressed in a white gown with a crown of lights. In Sweden, the Lucia Day is celebrated all over the country in every home, school and workplace on the morning of Dec. 13.
For more information about First Lutheran’s Lucia Fest, contact the church office at (815) 962-6691.
From the Dec. 9-15, 2009 issue