- Freshmen in Rockford schools beat state average in ‘on track’ to graduate
- The Odds Man: NFL QBs holding up Vegas in Week 9
- Murder charges filed in crash that killed Rockford attorney
- General Election Endorsements: Re-elect Madigan, Kinzinger
- IceHogs squeak by Grand Rapids behind strong Leighton showing
- Celebrate Dia de los Muertos at Riverfront Museum Park campus Nov. 1
- Lee Hamilton: Some thoughts on governing
- Top of Illinois Veterans Stand Down Oct. 31 in Rockford
- CUB shares list of worst customer horror stories
- Park District receives Governor’s Sustainability Award
Lucia Fest Dec. 12 at First Lutheran Church
From press release
First Lutheran Church’s 51st Annual Lucia Fest will be from 9 a.m. to noon, Saturday, Dec. 12, at the church, 225 S. Third St., in Rockford’s Haight Village.
The event includes a Lucia Queen and her Candy Girl, as well as a table of treasures, beautiful hand-crafted items, a bake sale, refreshments, and continuous music.
Among the featured musical groups and musicians will be the Bach Chamber Choir, the French Horn Club of Rockford, Michael Hillestad, piano, and others.
First Lutheran’s Lucia Day celebrates the Swedish Festival of Lights holiday.
According to legend, Lucia was a medieval saint who carried food and drink to hungry people during a period of famine. She was seen dressed in a white gown with a crown of lights. In Sweden, the Lucia Day is celebrated all over the country in every home, school and workplace on the morning of Dec. 13.
For more information about First Lutheran’s Lucia Fest, contact the church office at (815) 962-6691.
From the Dec. 9-15, 2009 issue