- Food Bank joins national #GivingTuesday movement
- Lee Hamilton: What lies ahead for Congress
- Rockford Public Schools faces $8.8 deficit, board OKs flat tax, HR chief
- Literary Hook: A holiday tradition: ‘This Thanksgiving, Remember’
- Cold snap does not negate global warming
- Week 13 NFL picks: Bears will hand Lions another Turkey Day loss
- Rockford’s holiday tradition Stroll on State set for Saturday, Nov. 29
- Webb’s RVC Studio winter full of love stories
- Tube Talk: ‘American Masters: Bing Crosby Rediscovered’ to be featured on PBS
- Craft Beer Scene Around Rockford: A nice break-in beer for those who want to try bourbon barrel-aged beer
Lucia Fest Dec. 12 at First Lutheran Church
From press release
First Lutheran Church’s 51st Annual Lucia Fest will be from 9 a.m. to noon, Saturday, Dec. 12, at the church, 225 S. Third St., in Rockford’s Haight Village.
The event includes a Lucia Queen and her Candy Girl, as well as a table of treasures, beautiful hand-crafted items, a bake sale, refreshments, and continuous music.
Among the featured musical groups and musicians will be the Bach Chamber Choir, the French Horn Club of Rockford, Michael Hillestad, piano, and others.
First Lutheran’s Lucia Day celebrates the Swedish Festival of Lights holiday.
According to legend, Lucia was a medieval saint who carried food and drink to hungry people during a period of famine. She was seen dressed in a white gown with a crown of lights. In Sweden, the Lucia Day is celebrated all over the country in every home, school and workplace on the morning of Dec. 13.
For more information about First Lutheran’s Lucia Fest, contact the church office at (815) 962-6691.
From the Dec. 9-15, 2009 issue