- Boys’ basketball holiday tournament tips off tonight
- Ribbon-cutting for Children’s Holiday Shoppe Nov. 26; shop is open Nov. 29-Dec. 21
- Rockford Rescue Mission invites community to Thanksgiving banquet Nov. 26
- Rockton’s new business district welcomes family owned Dr. Detail U.S. Cellular
- 2014 Illinois Emerging Writers Competition winners named
- Open house for new library executive director tonight
- Freeport murder suspect Damon Dixson taken into custody in Rockford
- Local gas station employee arrested for selling liquor to minor
- Renewable Fuel Standard delay ‘a mixed blessing,’ Bustos says
- Rockford delegation presents inaugural ‘Rockford Award’ to Norwegian Air
RAM Talks Art: Studio Artists open group show Dec. 11
By Stacey Sauer
Education Coordinator, Rockford Art Museum
If you’ve been following this column for the past few years, you will have noticed that we have a lot going on at Rockford Art Museum (RAM). Not only do we offer fantastic exhibitions (check out Hollis Sigler: Expect the Unexpected, on display through Jan. 10, 2010) and great classes for adults and kids (go to www.rockfordartmuseum.org for a full class listing), but we also serve as a meeting place for a few local groups and organizations.
In addition to support groups like Women’s Art Board and the FRIENDS of Rockford Art Museum, local organizations like the Rockford Photo Club have also found a home here at RAM. The addition of the Art Annex in 2007 has provided an additional exhibition space to showcase the amazing talent of local artists such as Keith Grace, Norm Knott and Molly Carter.
Friday, Dec. 11, one local group, the Studio Artists, begin displaying their artwork in the Art Annex. The Studio Artists group has had a home here at RAM since 1995. Almost 40 years ago, local art instructor Christy Andres formed this group from the adult art classes she taught at the YWCA. Originally called the Y’s Artists, the purpose of the group was to encourage individual expressions using a variety of media, to exhibit their work in public venues, and to increase their knowledge of the arts with trips to other museums and galleries.
Christy, her classes, and the Studio Artists moved to RAM in 1995 and haven’t looked back since. Christy currently teaches nine classes, and her students are invited to join the Studio Artists when they attend class. After almost four decades, the group is still thriving. They have 70 members, and the group is composed of beginning artists and professionals, including many who have received regional and national awards for their work.
Thirty members of the Studio Artists will exhibit their work in Picture This: The Studio Artist Show at the RAM Art Annex, 711 N. Main St., from Dec. 11 to Jan. 24, 2010. There will be an opening Friday, Dec. 11, 5:30-8:30 p.m. Admission to this exhibit is FREE.
For more information, call Rockford Art Museum at (815) 968-2787.
Contact Rockford Art Museum Education Coordinator Stacey Sauer at firstname.lastname@example.org.
From the Dec. 9-15, 2009 issue