- Suspect, 17, charged in Halloween hit-and-run in Roscoe
- Saint Anthony College of Nursing president to retire
- Man found guilty in deadly August 2013 crash at Mulford and Garrett Lane
- ‘The Price is Right Live!’ at Coronado March 1; tickets on sale Nov. 21
- Rockford’s E. Faye Butler to perform at Ten Chimneys in Wisconsin
- Stockholm Inn to be honored by Illinois Office of Tourism
- Winnebago County Sheriff’s Office to be out in force during Thanksgiving holiday
- Wallace co-sponsors bill to increase minimum wage
- Stadelman’s measure to prevent layoffs passes state Senate
- More than 46 million Americans to travel for Thanksgiving, most since 2007
Book Review: Poet shares A Time to Remember
By Susan Johnson
In a slim volume, titled A Time To Remember and Other Poems, poet Helen Tannus Parnaby reflects on everyday events, memories from her past, and feelings about various subjects. The verses tell about life, love, heartaches, achievements and failures. Some of the poems express wishes for a world not yet realized. In simple, everyday language, the author communicates on a level everyone can understand. The poems celebrate the glories of God’s creation in a garden, a bluebird, spring, and share worries about things like tornadoes.
No individual poem bears the title,
A Time to Remember,
which is more of an overview of the book. Three of the poems appear twice in the book, which may have been an oversight or for added emphasis. The variety of subjects addressed will ensure that almost everyone will find something of interest. As the author says in one of her poems, she lived through the Great Depression and can relate it to current events. This book would make a good stocking stuffer for Christmas for the person who has everything else, or no room to put things.
The book (Xlibris Corporation, 2009, ISBN Hardcover 978-1-4415-8599-8, Softcover 978-1-4415-8598-1) is available through Xlibris Corporation, (888) 795-4274, www.Xlibris.com, Orders@Xlibris.com or through your local bookstore.
From the Dec. 16-22, 2009 issue