- Telephone fraud on the rise, BBB reports
- Pet Talk: The seeing eye guide dog birthday
- State Police seize 155 pounds of cannabis during traffic stop
- Mitt Romney won’t run in 2016
- Man shot three times near Oakley Avenue, West Jefferson Street
- Goodwill’s free income tax sites open Jan. 30
- Rock Valley College hosts FAFSA Completion Night Feb. 4
- Stateline Fruit and Vegetable Growers Conference Feb. 5
- Cardiology Millennium Conference Feb. 2
- Scammers lurking to trap last-minute Super Bowl ticket buyers
Gallery Talk with Betsy Youngquist at Kortman Gallery Dec. 18
From press release
Artist Betsy Youngquist, whose spectacular beaded sculptures are featured at the Kortman Gallery, will conduct a gallery talk at 7 p.m., Friday, Dec. 18. The exhibition, titled “Fable:Explorations of the Fantastic,” features intricately-patterned beaded animals and objects that are extravagant, dazzling and romantic.
“If you missed the opening, this would be an excellent time to come see Betsy’s work,” said Doc Slafkosky, Kortman Gallery director. “You can meet the artist and learn more about her intrguing art. There is much more to her work than meets the eye. Plus, a Youngquist piece makes an extraordinary holiday gift.”
The Gallery Bar will also be open, featuring bar artist Dennis Horton mixing the now famous “Christmapolitan” cocktail and “Doc & Jerry” martinis.
“And, of course, J. R. Kortman Center for Design will be open until 10 p.m. for your holiday shopping pleasure,” said Nancy Froelich, store manager.
From the Dec. 16-22, 2009 issue