- Remember, fireworks are dangerous
- Wallace asks citizens to fight cuts
- Dispute over state payroll rolls on
- Why fight over free trade confounds partisan divide
- Still no state budget
- Crime control is not the responsibility of landlords
- Fly over to the Poplar Grove Wings and Wheels Museum benefit
- Local leaders warn of budget deadlock’s impact
- SHUTDOWN: Illinois preps for the worst
- TRRT Online Edition | July 1-7
This week in The Times: Skye Samuels
Vitals: Skye Samuels, 26, was born in Cheyenne, Wyo. Samuels moved to Rockford when she was 5 years old. She is a graduate of Rockford’s East High School. In her free time, she enjoys spending time with her 3-year-old daughter, Natalie.
1. If you could choose any elected official – local, state or national – to speak with one-on-one, who would it be, and what would you say? I’d speak with Rockford Mayor Larry Morrissey (I). I would tell him what he has done with Rockford’s downtown area is great. But, I would also ask him about his upcoming plans for Rockford’s Public School system, as my daughter starts school in a couple of years.
2. If you were to move away from the Rock River Valley, what three things would you miss the most? I’d miss my family, friends and JMK Nippon.
3. In your opinion, what could Rockford’s elected officials do to attract more businesses to our city? I think that improving Rockford’s Public School system would definitely help lure more businesses to Rockford. When you consider some of the recent news surrounding our schools, it seems pretty easy to understand why some businesses don’t currently see Rockford as an ideal location.
4. What Christmas traditions do you and your family hold most dear? Every year, my sister and I go Christmas shopping together on Black Friday. Also, every Christmas Eve, we have a family friend who dresses up as Santa and shows up in the middle of our gift opening to give all the kids a present. They absolutely love it.
5. Question from last week’s “This week in The Times” participant Dan Branson: What is your favorite Christmas dish? Green bean casserole, without a doubt.
“This week in The Times” is a weekly survey of people selected by The Rock River Times staff. The column does not accept unsolicited submissions.
From the Dec. 16-22, 2009 issue