- NWS: Thunderstorms expected Sunday night
- McKellen’s Mr. Holmes a satisfactory conclusion
- Rockford visitor spending jumps
- The misguided Cecil the lion debate
- State, union extend contract again
- Willow Creek left in the dust by development
- CUB helps residents find best deal
- What the Scott Walker fundraising controversy means for 2016
- Corn prices fade as supplies stay in surplus
- Cubs make history in an unfortunate way
This week in The Times: Skye Samuels
Vitals: Skye Samuels, 26, was born in Cheyenne, Wyo. Samuels moved to Rockford when she was 5 years old. She is a graduate of Rockford’s East High School. In her free time, she enjoys spending time with her 3-year-old daughter, Natalie.
1. If you could choose any elected official – local, state or national – to speak with one-on-one, who would it be, and what would you say? I’d speak with Rockford Mayor Larry Morrissey (I). I would tell him what he has done with Rockford’s downtown area is great. But, I would also ask him about his upcoming plans for Rockford’s Public School system, as my daughter starts school in a couple of years.
2. If you were to move away from the Rock River Valley, what three things would you miss the most? I’d miss my family, friends and JMK Nippon.
3. In your opinion, what could Rockford’s elected officials do to attract more businesses to our city? I think that improving Rockford’s Public School system would definitely help lure more businesses to Rockford. When you consider some of the recent news surrounding our schools, it seems pretty easy to understand why some businesses don’t currently see Rockford as an ideal location.
4. What Christmas traditions do you and your family hold most dear? Every year, my sister and I go Christmas shopping together on Black Friday. Also, every Christmas Eve, we have a family friend who dresses up as Santa and shows up in the middle of our gift opening to give all the kids a present. They absolutely love it.
5. Question from last week’s “This week in The Times” participant Dan Branson: What is your favorite Christmas dish? Green bean casserole, without a doubt.
“This week in The Times” is a weekly survey of people selected by The Rock River Times staff. The column does not accept unsolicited submissions.
From the Dec. 16-22, 2009 issue