- Bill limits automated license plate readers
- Private uni’s subject to FOIA says House
- Guest Commentary: Earth Day or April Fools Day?
- State Roundup: Concerns raised about proposed change in DUI pot standard
- Bill would decrease pot penalties; small amounts would draw only ticket, fine
- Senate votes to restore human service cuts; bill moves to House for consideration
- Bill to restrict red light cameras passes House
- State Roundup: Budget fix in current FY not yet done
- State Roundup: GOMB Director won’t support borrowing
- Economists: pros, cons to raising the state fuel tax
Community News and Notes: week of Dec. 23, 2009
Mary Hotlen, a Rockford writer and poet, was honored at the Illinois State Library in Springfield by Secretary of State Jesse White. Hotlen won third place in the Illinois Emerging Writers Competition, a statewide program to promote creative writing and for discovering and recognizing new literary talent in Illinois. Her award-winning poem, “year of psalms,” can be read and heard at the Illinois’ Poet Laureate’s Web site at www.poetlaureate.il.gov. … Boy Scout Troup 187 of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints of Byron conducted a Court of Honor for Dallin Robertson and Stephen Denton. Robertson and Denton performed a skill presentation on tying the square knot, clove hitch, timber hitch and the bowline. Scoutmaster Kelly Robertson presented both with Merit Badges at Camp Bradley, Idaho. Robertson earned three Merit Badges at the Stake Merit Badge Roundup and six Merit Badges at Camp Little Lemhi in Idaho. Robertson presented his mother, Sonya Robertson, with a “Star” pin acknowledging her support in his achieving the new rank. … Nine students from Keith Country Day School were recently named Illinois State Scholars. Those who were recognized for their outstanding academic achievement were Lamise Al-Basha, Farzeen Harunani, Sarah Ikenberry, Anne Jaconette, Jessica Ross, Katie Schulz, Dan Stephenson, Samantha Stephenson and Hyun Yi.
Send your “Community news and notes” to The Rock River Times, ATTN: People In Our Times, 128 N. Church St., Rockford, IL 61101; e-mail email@example.com; call (815) 964-9767; or fax (815) 964-9825.
From the Dec. 23-29, 2009 issue