- Hastert indicted on federal charges
- State Roundup: Worker’s Comp proposal fails to make it out of committee
- Water advocates, Illinois businesses applaud release of EPA’s Clean Water Rule
- Renewable energy gains market share
- 13 arrested in FIFA probe
- Rockford Rocked Interview with Paul Bronson
- State Roundup: House passes youth concussion legislation
- Moving out
- Illinois’ guaranteed-tuition law making college less affordable
- ‘Ex Machina’ a pick for awards season
1 green thing: Home sick (or homebound because of weather)
By Jan Herbert
Rockford Park District
Whether you were “green” before the color was fashionable or whether you’re just ready to find the “shade” that works best for you, here’s information about doing just “one green thing.”
After you have taken your medicine, read the paper (or, in the case of a snow day) have become bored out of your mind, there are things you can do.
Do you remember “mending”? My mother always seemed to have some (maybe kids make more mending than adults do?). There are buttons to sew on, seams to mend, hems to fix, etc. If you are sick, you can even do it while you are in bed.
Write somebody a note, like to your old Auntie who does not have e-mail! Enough said on this one—hardly any of us do it anymore, many of us take the easy way out at holiday time, and just sign our name.
Clean a drawer. Be sure to sort items into the recycling container when you can. Make a bag for the local thrift store and only put back in what you might really use someday. Make it a cupboard if it is a snow day. You do NOT need 50 plastic margarine containers. Or a coat closet, if you are very ambitious.
Whether it is a snow day or a sick day, you can always do a little stretching, and it will probably be better for you than any medicine you have on hand. Make some soup as long as you are up. With any of these, you are bound to feel better no matter what has kept you home for the day.
For more information, e-mail Jan Herbert at JanHerbert@RockfordParkdistrict.org.
From the Jan. 6-12, 2010 issue