- Email phishing scams escalate, BBB reports
- SwedishAmerican merges, becomes division of UW Health
- Aaron Rodgers has Jay Cutler’s back, even if the Bears don’t
- Police investigate home invasion on Applewood Lane
- Amy Newell named The Arc executive director
- Rockford Rocked Interviews: A chat with Rockford native Larry Merryman of Stonefront
- Technological assessment is needed
- Consumer advocates prep for looming telecom battle
- RSO’s Holiday Pops set for Dec. 20-21 at Coronado
- National Council of Churches president to speak in Rockford Sunday, Dec. 28
American Idol premieres on Fox
By Jim Hagerty
The biggest show on television, American Idol, makes its return Tuesday, Jan. 12 (7 to 9 p.m.) and Wednesday, Jan. 13 (7 to 8:15 p.m.). The two-night special kicks off the ninth season on Fox.
Comedian and talk-show host Ellen Degeneres will join creator Simon Cowell, Randy Jackson and Kara DioGuardi on the judges’ panel. She replaces Paula Abdul.
Hosted by Ryan Seacrest, American Idol premiered June 11, 2002, and has been the No. 1 show for five consecutive years, according to Nielsen Ratings. The series is a spin-off of Cowell’s Pop Idol, which aired in the United Kingdom from 2001 to 2004.
Past American Idol winners include Kelly Clarkson, Rueben Studdard and country sensation Carrie Underwood.
Auditions, taped earlier this year, were judged by a host of singers including Mary J. Blige, Avril Lavigne and Shania Twain.
From the Jan. 6-12, 2010 issue