- Goodwill’s free income tax sites open Jan. 30
- Rock Valley College hosts FAFSA Completion Night Feb. 4
- Stateline Fruit and Vegetable Growers Conference Feb. 5
- Cardiology Millennium Conference Feb. 2
- Scammers lurking to trap last-minute Super Bowl ticket buyers
- Sharing memories of Ernie Banks
- EarthTalk: What fish can we eat?
- Rock Valley College hosts entrepreneurship event Jan. 30
- Tube Talk: ‘The Americans’ begins third season
- Conservatives join New Hampshire rally in support of campaign finance reform
American Idol premieres on Fox
By Jim Hagerty
The biggest show on television, American Idol, makes its return Tuesday, Jan. 12 (7 to 9 p.m.) and Wednesday, Jan. 13 (7 to 8:15 p.m.). The two-night special kicks off the ninth season on Fox.
Comedian and talk-show host Ellen Degeneres will join creator Simon Cowell, Randy Jackson and Kara DioGuardi on the judges’ panel. She replaces Paula Abdul.
Hosted by Ryan Seacrest, American Idol premiered June 11, 2002, and has been the No. 1 show for five consecutive years, according to Nielsen Ratings. The series is a spin-off of Cowell’s Pop Idol, which aired in the United Kingdom from 2001 to 2004.
Past American Idol winners include Kelly Clarkson, Rueben Studdard and country sensation Carrie Underwood.
Auditions, taped earlier this year, were judged by a host of singers including Mary J. Blige, Avril Lavigne and Shania Twain.
From the Jan. 6-12, 2010 issue