- Boys’ basketball holiday tournament tips off tonight
- Ribbon-cutting for Children’s Holiday Shoppe Nov. 26; shop is open Nov. 29-Dec. 21
- Rockford Rescue Mission invites community to Thanksgiving banquet Nov. 26
- Rockton’s new business district welcomes family owned Dr. Detail U.S. Cellular
- 2014 Illinois Emerging Writers Competition winners named
- Open house for new library executive director tonight
- Freeport murder suspect Damon Dixson taken into custody in Rockford
- Local gas station employee arrested for selling liquor to minor
- Renewable Fuel Standard delay ‘a mixed blessing,’ Bustos says
- Rockford delegation presents inaugural ‘Rockford Award’ to Norwegian Air
Globetrotters at MetroCentre Jan. 8
By Doug Halberstadt
They’ve played the game on six continents and in 120 countries around the world. This year marks the beginning of their 84th continuous season. They’ve played more than 25,000 games and won almost 99 percent of them. They’ve entertained millions and millions of fans, including presidents and popes.
This Friday, Jan. 8, The Harlem Globetrotters return to the state where it all began for them 83 years ago. Back on Jan. 7, 1927, they played their first game as an organized team in Hinckley, Ill. Flash forward to 2010, and this Friday’s game will be played at the Rockford MetroCentre. Game time is 7 p.m.
The Globetrotters’ unique blend of athleticism and comedy promise to keep fans of all ages entertained. In addition to many of their long-lasting, time-tested, laugh-producing staple routines, the team has promised to show their fans a new trick or two. “The Harlem Globetrotters are the unbeatable global entertainment experience that emotionally connects to and thrills every member of the family,” says ’Trotters CEO Kurt Schneider.
Tickets for the Globetrotters’ game are available at www.metrocenre.com or at the MetroCentre box office. Prices range from $18 to $80. For more information about the Harlem Globetrotters’ Rockford appearance, call (815) 968-5600.
Doug Halberstadt can be reached via e-mail at Dougster61@aol.com.
From the Jan. 6-12, 2010 issue