This week in The Times: Sandra Cortez
Vitals: Sandra Cortez, 22, was born in Moline, Ill., and moved to Rockford when she was 8 years old. She is a graduate of Rockford’s East High School. Cortez is attending Rock Valley College studying communications. She plans on using her degree to pursue a career in marketing and public relations after graduation. In her spare time, Cortez enjoys photography and reading.
1. If you could choose any elected official – local, state or national – to speak with one-on-one, who would it be and what would you say? I’d speak with Rockford Mayor Larry Morrissey (I). I’d like to ask him what he plans to do to improve our public transportation system in Rockford. The buses and their schedules aren’t consistent at all. Plus, the buses stop running at what seems like a very early hour. I don’t expect our public transportation system to be like Chicago’s, but it could be much better and make it easier for people who don’t have a car.
2. If you were to move away from the Rock River Valley, what three things would you miss the most? My friends and family, Beef-A-Roo and Sinnissippi Park.
3. In your opinion, what could be done to bolster airline security? I don’t fly all that often, but I’ve flown enough to think the government is doing a decent job of keeping planes safe. However, I think adding another background screening for all passengers could catch a few risks that may slip through the cracks.
4. How have you combated the recent frigid temperatures in the Rock River Valley? I start wearing several layers every year in November. But, it’s been extremely cold the past two weeks or so. The only change I’ve made to my routine this year is staying in more.
5. Question from last week’s “This week in The Times” participant, David Painter: What, if anything, would help revive Rockford’s economy? I think tax breaks and improving our schools could help attract more businesses. If we bring in more businesses, then we’d have more jobs, which would put more money back into our stores and restaurants.
“This week in The Times” is a weekly survey of people selected by The Rock River Times staff. The column does not accept unsolicited submissions.
From the Jan. 6-12, 2010 issue
Print This Article