- TRRT April 1-7 | Online Edition
- Guest Commentary: the Rockford Apartment Association
- State Roundup: NIU employee improperly reimbursed $30K
- State Roundup: Governor signs budget fix bills
- Rauner, Democratic leaders shake hands and make law
- State roundup: National guardsman and cousin arrested in terror plot
- Lawmaker says license plate readers a privacy threat
- Bryant not the first to feel impact of free agency rules
- State Roundup: Parents’ group calls for standardized test opt-out bill
- Hononegah Mack: ‘The best woman in the county’
1 green thing: Just plain miscellaneous (not necessarily green)
By Jan Herbert
Rockford Park District
Whether you were “green” before the color was fashionable or whether you’re just ready to find the “shade” that works best for you, here’s information about doing just “one green thing.”
Did you know?
1. If you take your bananas apart when you get home from the store, they will not ripen as fast as if you leave them connected (saves on waste).
2. For an especially yummy omelet, add a couple of spoonfuls of sour cream and then beat the eggs. (A good idea for when you are out of milk as well!)
3. You can reduce static cling by putting a small safety pin on the seam of your slip or in the seam of your slacks. Static is supposed to be gone (and you avoid using “anti-static spray”).
4. OK, now who has leftover Snickers bars from Halloween? Chop them up in a food chopper (or be greener and do it by hand). Peel, core, slice a few apples, and place in a baking dish. Sprinkle the chopped candy bars over the apples and bake at 350 for 15 minutes. You can bet this is yummy. I would think you could use any candy bar and just add nuts.
5. To reheat pizza, put it in a nonstick skillet on top of the stove set to medium-low. It keeps the crust crispy (and you avoid wasting).
6. If you use dryer sheets, take the filter out of your dryer every six months or so and wash it with a brush and hot soapy water. The dryer sheets can create a build-up on the filter (remember how waxy they feel when you take them out of the box?). You are “being greener” because this makes your dryer last longer!
For more information, e-mail Jan Herbert at JanHerbert@RockfordParkdistrict.org.
From the Jan. 13-19, 2010 issue.