- Boys’ basketball holiday tournament tips off tonight
- Ribbon-cutting for Children’s Holiday Shoppe Nov. 26; shop is open Nov. 29-Dec. 21
- Rockford Rescue Mission invites community to Thanksgiving banquet Nov. 26
- Rockton’s new business district welcomes family owned Dr. Detail U.S. Cellular
- 2014 Illinois Emerging Writers Competition winners named
- Open house for new library executive director tonight
- Freeport murder suspect Damon Dixson taken into custody in Rockford
- Local gas station employee arrested for selling liquor to minor
- Renewable Fuel Standard delay ‘a mixed blessing,’ Bustos says
- Rockford delegation presents inaugural ‘Rockford Award’ to Norwegian Air
Soul Invasion breakdancing contest Jan. 23 at nCenter
From press release
The Hip Hop Congress of Rockford and Midwest Monsters Breakdancing Crew is hosting the second Soul Invasion event, which is a breakdancing competition, from 7 to 10 p.m., Saturday, Jan. 23, at the nCenter, 220 S. Madison St., Rockford.
The breakdancing competition gives individuals a place to showcase their talents to music provided by a live DJ while giving them a chance to win prizes for being the best dancer of the competition.
The breakdancers will show the foundations of hip hop dance as they compete head-to-head with dynamic moves in the form of flips, spins, tricks and more. The competition will be judged by judges from the Chicago, Madison and Rockford area who are respected in the local dance community for their dancing abilities.
This competition will present those in attendance with a real-life perspective on what it really means to be a breakdancer, while providing competitors with a positive place to share their talents. The music provided by a live DJ will range through various generations and genres of music, which will enhance the experience for all in attendance.
Breakdancers from Iowa, Illinois, Wisconsin, Michigan and several cities around the local area will be in attendance, and all are welcome to attend and/or participate. The competition is $5 (or free with any Hip Hop Congress clothing) to enter and watch, and all of the proceeds will go directly toward supporting the dancers by providing prizes and funding future events.
For more information, contact DJ Maclin at (815) 608-7653 or email@example.com, or visit www.rockfordhhc.org.
The Hip Hop Congress is a 501 (c) (3) nonprofit corporation. The Hip Hop Congress provides the Hip Hop Generation and the Post Hip Hop Generation with the tools, resources and opportunities to make social, economic and political change on a local, regional and national level. Hip Hop Congress is the product of a merger of artists and students, music and community.
From the Jan. 20-26, 2010 issue