- URGENT: Four votes and we could lose on Keystone
- Guest Column: Housing Authority CEO: Time to unify behind quality living
- Rockford police investigate 17th Street murder
- Clean water under attack in the U.S. Congress
- Man faces charges following attempted armed robbery
- Discovery Center experiences record public attendance
- Pet Talk: Probiotics for your pets
- Illinois home prices climb 3.7 percent in December
- Supreme Court and gay marriage — U of I expert weighs in
- More than 6,100 residents of Winnebago County enrolled in Marketplace
Green Communities Coalition offers free Low-Carbon Diet workshops
From press release
The Green Communities Coalition (GCC) would like to come to your location and lead a free workshop about The Low-Carbon Diet program to reduce carbon emissions.
Since April 2009, GCC has been teaching families how to reduce their households’ carbon output with a program titled “The Low-Carbon Diet.” Twelve families registered for the first session, held for four weeks at the Maria Montessori School in Rockford. This pilot program launched what GCC hopes will be a community-wide network of volunteers who will continue to offer the free training sessions to groups and families.
GCC has tailored The Low-Carbon Diet training sessions to fit people’s busy schedules. GCC now offers a three-week, one-night-per-week series, or a three-hour intensive workshop that can be completed in one afternoon. The program includes an easy-to-use guide book that shows, step-by-step, how to reduce household carbon dioxide output by 5,000 pounds in just one month’s time. Facilitators will bring the workbooks to a location and run the training free of charge. All participants need to do is bring their gas and electric bills from the last 12 months to calculate energy use.
Any school, church or organization that would like to host a Low-Carbon Diet series or workshop should call Mike Kearney at (815) 871-1863. To learn more, visit www.greencommunitiescoalition.org.
Anyone in the community may register for the next free Low-Carbon Diet sessions scheduled for Saturday, Jan. 30, and Saturday, Feb. 13, at Maria Montessori School from 1 to 4 p.m. All are welcome. To register, call Kearney at (815) 871-1863.
From the Jan. 27-Feb. 2, 2010 issue