- The Odds Man: NFL QBs holding up Vegas in Week 9
- Murder charges filed in crash that killed Rockford attorney
- General Election Endorsements: Re-elect Madigan, Kinzinger
- IceHogs squeak by Grand Rapids behind strong Leighton showing
- Celebrate Dia de los Muertos at Riverfront Museum Park campus Nov. 1
- Lee Hamilton: Some thoughts on governing
- Top of Illinois Veterans Stand Down Oct. 31 in Rockford
- CUB shares list of worst customer horror stories
- Park District receives Governor’s Sustainability Award
- Park District’s ‘Ties & Tennies’ fund-raiser Nov. 14; deadline Nov. 6
Green Communities Coalition offers free Low-Carbon Diet workshops
From press release
The Green Communities Coalition (GCC) would like to come to your location and lead a free workshop about The Low-Carbon Diet program to reduce carbon emissions.
Since April 2009, GCC has been teaching families how to reduce their households’ carbon output with a program titled “The Low-Carbon Diet.” Twelve families registered for the first session, held for four weeks at the Maria Montessori School in Rockford. This pilot program launched what GCC hopes will be a community-wide network of volunteers who will continue to offer the free training sessions to groups and families.
GCC has tailored The Low-Carbon Diet training sessions to fit people’s busy schedules. GCC now offers a three-week, one-night-per-week series, or a three-hour intensive workshop that can be completed in one afternoon. The program includes an easy-to-use guide book that shows, step-by-step, how to reduce household carbon dioxide output by 5,000 pounds in just one month’s time. Facilitators will bring the workbooks to a location and run the training free of charge. All participants need to do is bring their gas and electric bills from the last 12 months to calculate energy use.
Any school, church or organization that would like to host a Low-Carbon Diet series or workshop should call Mike Kearney at (815) 871-1863. To learn more, visit www.greencommunitiescoalition.org.
Anyone in the community may register for the next free Low-Carbon Diet sessions scheduled for Saturday, Jan. 30, and Saturday, Feb. 13, at Maria Montessori School from 1 to 4 p.m. All are welcome. To register, call Kearney at (815) 871-1863.
From the Jan. 27-Feb. 2, 2010 issue