- Northern Illinois to get $8.3 million for state construction projects
- Tree-lighting festival kicks off holiday season in Machesney Park
- Roscoe Boy Scout Troop’s tree stand at new location
- Tips for selecting safe toys for kids this holiday season
- Prayer service for World AIDS Day Nov. 30
- Food Bank joins national #GivingTuesday movement
- Lee Hamilton: What lies ahead for Congress
- Rockford Public Schools faces $8.8 deficit, board OKs flat tax, HR chief
- Literary Hook: A holiday tradition: ‘This Thanksgiving, Remember’
- Cold snap does not negate global warming
Jan. 30 deadline for Youth Charity Jam applicants
Rockford Area Music Industry invites teen bands from area counties to participate
From press release
Rockford Area Music Industry (RAMI) invites teen bands from Winnebago, Boone, Ogle, Stephenson and Rock counties to audition for the 2010 RAMI Youth Charity Jam. Auditions will be Saturday, Feb. 27, at the Tebala Shrine Temple, 7910 Newburg Road, in Rockford. Application deadline is Jan. 30.
For a band to be eligible, at least two-thirds of its members must be 19 years of age or younger and enrolled in high school in one of the designated counties.
The top seven bands, as determined by the auditions, will perform at the 2010 RAMI Youth Charity Jam Saturday, March 27, also held at the Tebala Shrine Temple. In addition, the first-place winner will receive $250, recording time donated by Darkhouse Productions, and will be invited to perform at the 19th Annual RAMI Awards Ceremony Thursday, April 29. The second-place winner will receive $200 and the third-place winner $150. The band selling the most tickets to the Youth Charity Jam will receive $100 as well.
Proceeds from this event will be applied to the Gary S. Wilmer Memorial Scholarship Fund, administered by the Community Foundation of Northern Illinois. Each year, the recipient of the scholarship is chosen from nominations submitted by music teachers. The student must be a graduating senior from Boone or Winnebago County who has a GPA of at least 2.5; plans to pursue a degree in music performance, education or composition; and is actively involved in school or community musical groups. Nominations will be accepted until Feb. 1.
To obtain an Application Form to audition for the Youth Charity Jam, go to www.ramiawards.com. For more information, e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org or call (815) 847-8228. For information about the Gary S. Wilmer Memorial Scholarship, contact the Community Foundation of Northern Illinois at (815) 962-2110.
From the Jan. 27-Feb. 2, 2010 issue