- Rauner to Smiddy: No debate for you
- State Roundup: Moody’s: Regardless of reform, Chicago pension will grow for years
- State Roundup: State could see up to $500 million in unexpected revenue for current FY
- Tax revenues up, Rauner to restore $26 million ‘Good Friday’ cuts
- First Friday Lineup: May 1
- State Roundup: Former governor Walker passes away
- Mayors decry local funding cut proposal, say expect cuts to services
- Senate rejects bill to ban smoking in cars with children present
- Mayors warn of critical cuts if funds are reduced
- Rebuilding Rockford
Kvapil has full ride for 2010 Sprint Cup series season
By Doug Halberstadt
NASCAR fans are eagerly awaiting the start of the 2010 racing season. The Daytona 500 is just a little more than two weeks away. That green flag can’t come soon enough for most area race fans. One person with ties to the local racing scene has a particularly vested interest in the upcoming season.
Travis Kvapil, a Janesville, Wis., native and the 1994 American Short Tracker champion at the Rockford Speedway, will once again be behind the wheel of a Sprint Cup car. This year, he will be driving for Front Row Motorsports. They are the newest members of Ford Racing for the 2010 Sprint Cup Series season. Kvapil’s team will receive engines from Roush/Yates Racing Engines and technical support from Ford Racing.
Last year, Kvapil was forced to shut down his team following the Food City 500 because of a lack of sponsorship. This season, Kvapil won’t have to worry about sponsorship. Long John Silver’s will sponsor his No. 34 for the entire 2010 season.
Front Row Motorsports team owner Bob Jenkins said: “Travis is a champion and a veteran of this series. We expect him to take us to the next level.”
Kvapil was the 2003 Truck Series Champion. He made his first Sprint Cup start near the end of the 2004 season. He has six top 10 finishes in his Sprint Cup Series career. He, his wife and their three children make their home in Mooresville, N.C.
Doug Halberstadt can be reached via e-mail at Dougster61@aol.com.
From the Jan. 27-Feb 2, 2010