- 20-year sentence in 2013 homicide
- Parolee arrested after search warrant at RHA property
- Olympic star Michael Phelps arrested on second DUI charge
- Former NIU QB Harnish signed to Vikings practice squad
- Man arrested after ax incident
- The Odds Man: Chicago, Detroit, San Diego good bets in Week 4
- Updated: Roosevelt High School evacuated after bomb threat
- Grand jury: No charges against Tony Stewart
- Laurent House to remain open for tours throughout the year
- Dynamic father-son piano duo at Mendelssohn Sept. 26
Kvapil has full ride for 2010 Sprint Cup series season
By Doug Halberstadt
NASCAR fans are eagerly awaiting the start of the 2010 racing season. The Daytona 500 is just a little more than two weeks away. That green flag can’t come soon enough for most area race fans. One person with ties to the local racing scene has a particularly vested interest in the upcoming season.
Travis Kvapil, a Janesville, Wis., native and the 1994 American Short Tracker champion at the Rockford Speedway, will once again be behind the wheel of a Sprint Cup car. This year, he will be driving for Front Row Motorsports. They are the newest members of Ford Racing for the 2010 Sprint Cup Series season. Kvapil’s team will receive engines from Roush/Yates Racing Engines and technical support from Ford Racing.
Last year, Kvapil was forced to shut down his team following the Food City 500 because of a lack of sponsorship. This season, Kvapil won’t have to worry about sponsorship. Long John Silver’s will sponsor his No. 34 for the entire 2010 season.
Front Row Motorsports team owner Bob Jenkins said: “Travis is a champion and a veteran of this series. We expect him to take us to the next level.”
Kvapil was the 2003 Truck Series Champion. He made his first Sprint Cup start near the end of the 2004 season. He has six top 10 finishes in his Sprint Cup Series career. He, his wife and their three children make their home in Mooresville, N.C.
Doug Halberstadt can be reached via e-mail at Dougster61@aol.com.
From the Jan. 27-Feb 2, 2010