- ‘Death tax’ rhetoric doesn’t address the facts
- ‘We’re back': second ‘Star Wars’ teaser drops
- Sunday Service: Legalizing competition in Illinois’ auto industry
- Cullerton: Don’t bet on right-to-work zones
- State Roundup: Rauner continues “Turnaround” pitch
- Open Government: Improved FOIA laws crucial
- Legislators ask Rauner to pony up pension details
- Rockford Art Deli providing homegrown artists a place to flourish
- Talcott acquisition continues west side trend
- Record Store Day brings vinyl back into the limelight
Community news and notes: Week of Feb 3-9, 2010
Nate Martin, Rockford Park District commissioner since 1995, was presented the Mike Cassidy Commissioner Community Service Award. The annual award is presented to a commissioner whose volunteer service to his or her community emulates the vision and voluntary efforts demonstrated by Mike Cassidy, long-time Freeport Park District commissioner. Martin donates his time to several community organizations including the Rockford Charter School Initiative Steering Committee, the Community Foundation of Northern Illinois, On the Waterfront, Inc., the Golden Apple Foundation and the St. Paul Academy School Board. … Dr. Vipuj Shah joined the staff of Beloit (Wis.) Memorial Hospital as a hospitalist. Hospitalists are physicians specially trained to care for hospitalized patients. She is certified by the American Board of Internal Medicine. … Blue Blazers Toastmasters chose officers for 2009-10: Robert Fischer, president; Dustin Lenz, vice president of education; Johannes Picard, vice president of membership and treasurer; David Lefavour, vice president of public relations; Cynthia Steinback, secretary; Douglas Doughty, sergeant-at-arms. Toastmasters clubs provide supportive learning environments in which members have the chance to develop communication and leadership skills to foster self-confidence and personal growth.
Send your “Community news and notes” to The Rock River Times, ATTN: People In Our Times, 128 N. Church St., Rockford, IL 61101; e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org; call (815) 964-9767; or fax (815) 964-9825.
From the Feb. 3-9, 2010 issue.