- Freeport murder suspect Damon Dixson taken into custody in Rockford
- Local gas station employee arrested for selling liquor to minor
- Renewable Fuel Standard delay ‘a mixed blessing,’ Bustos says
- Rockford delegation presents inaugural ‘Rockford Award’ to Norwegian Air
- Education in Illinois making slow progress, according to report
- Illinois GOP Congressional delegation: Obama’s immigration plan undermines rule of law
- Suspect, 17, charged in Halloween hit-and-run in Roscoe
- Saint Anthony College of Nursing president to retire
- Man found guilty in deadly August 2013 crash at Mulford and Garrett Lane
- ‘The Price is Right Live!’ at Coronado March 1; tickets on sale Nov. 21
Community news and notes: Week of Feb 3-9, 2010
Nate Martin, Rockford Park District commissioner since 1995, was presented the Mike Cassidy Commissioner Community Service Award. The annual award is presented to a commissioner whose volunteer service to his or her community emulates the vision and voluntary efforts demonstrated by Mike Cassidy, long-time Freeport Park District commissioner. Martin donates his time to several community organizations including the Rockford Charter School Initiative Steering Committee, the Community Foundation of Northern Illinois, On the Waterfront, Inc., the Golden Apple Foundation and the St. Paul Academy School Board. … Dr. Vipuj Shah joined the staff of Beloit (Wis.) Memorial Hospital as a hospitalist. Hospitalists are physicians specially trained to care for hospitalized patients. She is certified by the American Board of Internal Medicine. … Blue Blazers Toastmasters chose officers for 2009-10: Robert Fischer, president; Dustin Lenz, vice president of education; Johannes Picard, vice president of membership and treasurer; David Lefavour, vice president of public relations; Cynthia Steinback, secretary; Douglas Doughty, sergeant-at-arms. Toastmasters clubs provide supportive learning environments in which members have the chance to develop communication and leadership skills to foster self-confidence and personal growth.
Send your “Community news and notes” to The Rock River Times, ATTN: People In Our Times, 128 N. Church St., Rockford, IL 61101; e-mail email@example.com; call (815) 964-9767; or fax (815) 964-9825.
From the Feb. 3-9, 2010 issue.