- Three female fugitives wanted in New Jersey restaurant theft arrested in Illinois
- Man guilty in 2012 crash into home that injured 8-year-old
- McDonald’s: Federal complaint says company is joint employer
- T-Mobile settlement: $90M for cell phone bill cramming
- Shelter Care Ministries gets $30,000 grant
- Even more dead bees?
- Holiday travel: 98.6 million plan getaway, most on record
- Scam artists posing as utility reps, demanding payment
- Holiday mailing deadlines approach, Rockford Post Office warns
- Hispanics more than half of all renters, yet most are uninsured
Lonely Hearts looking for homes
From press release
Winnebago County Animal Services is very excited to announce the introduction of a new pet adoption program called The Lonely Hearts Club. Pets who are members of The Lonely Hearts Club are cats and dogs that have been at Animal Services longer than their buddies.
Pets in this program have simply been overlooked but will make great family companions,
says Donna Apgar, adoption coordinator at Winnebago County Animal Services.
We created the program to spotlight them for the community so that people looking to adopt a pet can be aware of the cats and dogs that have been with us the longest and are truly in need of loving homes.
Lonely Hearts Club pets will also have their adoption fee reduced by $15. Normal adoption fees are $40 for adult cats, $85 for kittens and $110 for dogs. For both cats and dogs, the adoption fee includes a wellness exam, spay or neuter surgery, one-year vaccination for distemper, and rabies vaccinations, county pet license and microchip. In addition, included for dogs are a heartworm test, parvo booster and kennel cough vaccination.
Pets who are members of The Lonely Hearts Club pet adoption program will have their pictures and biographies posted in a special display case at Animal Services as well as posted on the Web site’s Lonely Hearts Club page. Red Lonely Hearts Club tags will be placed on their cages to help visitors locate them.
The Winnebago County Animal Services Volunteer Auxiliary is sponsoring the program and covering the difference in the adoption fee. The Volunteer Auxiliary holds fund-raisers throughout the year with events such as the Canine Classic Dog Fair, Pizza Ranch Tip Night, a perennial plant sale and other fund-raising activities.
If you are considering adopting a Lonely Hearts Club pet or any other cat or dog, please visit Winnebago County Animal Services at 4517 N. Main St. or www.wcasrock.org. Adoption hours are Monday from 11 a.m. to 6:30 p.m.; Tuesday through Friday, 11 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.; and Saturday from 10 a.m. to 3:30 p.m.
From the Feb. 3-9, 2010 issue.