- Man pleads guilty but mentally ill in 2013 murder
- Telephone, computer network outages at 22 Rockford schools
- Byron native selected as Sailor of the Year for Navy Band Southwest
- Illinois Tollway awards $337 million in contracts, sets budget
- 44 earn bachelor’s degrees at Saint Anthony College of Nursing
- Goodwill opens Donation Express site on Perryville
- Rock Valley College to manage TechWorks program
- University of Illinois at Chicago names chancellor
- Salvation Army to distribute food, toys to nearly 2,000 families
- American Manufacturing Competitiveness Act signed into law
This week in The Times: Eric Malone
Vitals: Eric Malone, 36, is originally from Tulsa, Okla. He moved to Rockford in 1999. Malone works for a landscaper and spends his winters clearing driveways and sidewalks. In his free time, Malone enjoys spending time with his family, sports and the outdoors.
1. If you could choose any elected official – local, state or national – to speak with one-on-one, who would it be and what would you say? If I could speak to any of them, I probably wouldn’t have much good to say. But, for some reason, I’d like to speak with Illinois Gov. Pat Quinn (D) and find out what ideas he has for creating jobs and getting more people back into the workforce. People who want work now find themselves unable to find it. We need to fix that situation.
2. If you were to move away from the Rock River Valley, what three things would you miss the most? I really can’t think of anything I’d miss if I were to leave here.
3. What, if anything, have you done to help support relief efforts in Haiti? It wasn’t much, but I donated four old cell phones I had lying around. I heard cell phones were needed there, and I wasn’t using them. So, it just made sense to donate them.
4. Who will win this year’s Super Bowl, and why? The Colts, for sure. I just don’t think the Saints’ defense will have an answer for Peyton Manning. He’s pretty much the best in the business. I think the final score will be the Colts 17 and the Saints 10.
5. Question from last week’s “This week in The Times” participant, Keddrick Collins: How many of your New Year’s resolutions are you still following? None. That lasted about three days, then I fell right back into my old, comfortable ways. I do this every year…make resolutions, then fail miserably at following them.
“This week in The Times” is a weekly survey of people selected by The Rock River Times staff. The column does not accept unsolicited submissions.
From the Feb. 3-9, 2010 issue.