- Man sentenced to 12 years in fatal hit-and-run
- White House fence jumper charged with kicking Secret Service dogs
- Man arrested on child pornography charges
- Woman hit with liquor bottle during home invasion
- Police arrest robbery suspect
- Rockford area trick-or-treat times
- The Odds Man: Three road dogs good bets in NFL Week 8
- IceHogs nipped in third period, return home Saturday
- BGA sues Chicago Police Department over transparency
- Clean water groups highlight progress for Apple River, call for more success stories
To the Editor: I could spit tacks
In a previous letter to the editor, I had said that the fat cats of the MetroCentre need to take pay cuts. Twice, the Metro Authorities have been given loans from our city coffers. And now our city planners are planning to co-sign for another $2.5 million! But what’s so wrong with this? Plenty, because our so-called city leaders are acting as if it were their own money. And it wasn’t the taxpayers’ fault that these supposed leaders are misappropriating what was once put into trust. Then, our mayor and city council members (yes people) are expecting everyone to make many sacrifices in public services (budget cuts). But these erratic expenditures are only excuses for their own wants and desires!
Philip J. Wilson
From the Feb. 3-9, 2010 issue.