- NWS: Thunderstorms expected Sunday night
- McKellen’s Mr. Holmes a satisfactory conclusion
- Rockford visitor spending jumps
- The misguided Cecil the lion debate
- State, union extend contract again
- Willow Creek left in the dust by development
- CUB helps residents find best deal
- What the Scott Walker fundraising controversy means for 2016
- Corn prices fade as supplies stay in surplus
- Cubs make history in an unfortunate way
To the Editor: I could spit tacks
In a previous letter to the editor, I had said that the fat cats of the MetroCentre need to take pay cuts. Twice, the Metro Authorities have been given loans from our city coffers. And now our city planners are planning to co-sign for another $2.5 million! But what’s so wrong with this? Plenty, because our so-called city leaders are acting as if it were their own money. And it wasn’t the taxpayers’ fault that these supposed leaders are misappropriating what was once put into trust. Then, our mayor and city council members (yes people) are expecting everyone to make many sacrifices in public services (budget cuts). But these erratic expenditures are only excuses for their own wants and desires!
Philip J. Wilson
From the Feb. 3-9, 2010 issue.