- Lee Hamilton: What lies ahead for Congress
- Rockford Public Schools faces $8.8 deficit, board OKs flat tax, HR chief
- Literary Hook: A holiday tradition: ‘This Thanksgiving, Remember’
- Cold snap does not negate global warming
- Week 13 NFL picks: Bears will hand Lions another Turkey Day loss
- Rockford’s holiday tradition Stroll on State set for Saturday, Nov. 29
- Webb’s RVC Studio winter full of love stories
- Tube Talk: ‘American Masters: Bing Crosby Rediscovered’ to be featured on PBS
- Craft Beer Scene Around Rockford: A nice break-in beer for those who want to try bourbon barrel-aged beer
- Tales from the Trough: IceHogs rebound with four straight wins
To the Editor: I could spit tacks
In a previous letter to the editor, I had said that the fat cats of the MetroCentre need to take pay cuts. Twice, the Metro Authorities have been given loans from our city coffers. And now our city planners are planning to co-sign for another $2.5 million! But what’s so wrong with this? Plenty, because our so-called city leaders are acting as if it were their own money. And it wasn’t the taxpayers’ fault that these supposed leaders are misappropriating what was once put into trust. Then, our mayor and city council members (yes people) are expecting everyone to make many sacrifices in public services (budget cuts). But these erratic expenditures are only excuses for their own wants and desires!
Philip J. Wilson
From the Feb. 3-9, 2010 issue.