- Hospitals lift visitor age restrictions as number of flu cases decreases
- Winnebago County sheriff names chief deputy
- URGENT: Four votes and we could lose on Keystone
- Guest Column: Housing Authority CEO: Time to unify behind quality living
- Rockford police investigate 17th Street murder
- Clean water under attack in the U.S. Congress
- Man faces charges following attempted armed robbery
- Discovery Center experiences record public attendance
- Pet Talk: Probiotics for your pets
- Illinois home prices climb 3.7 percent in December
To the Editor: No amnesty
Sept. 29, 2009, President Barack Obama stated that a large portion of our economy depends on millions of workers living in the shadows. He also stated that we must require undocumented immigrants who are already here to step out of the shadows and onto a responsible path to earn citizenship. I would interpret that to be amnesty for the 20-30 million illegal aliens in the United States.
Illegal aliens are not in the shadows. They are in the workplace, emergency rooms, county health departments, schools, and participating in any number of entitlement programs. Unemployment is over 10 percent nationwide. How many American citizens have lost their job to an illegal alien?
Jan. 10, 60 Minutes reported the 28-mile virtual fence on the Mexican/American border to be a $1 billion failure and that the easiest way for a terrorist to enter our country is through the porous American/Mexican border. George W. Bush invited illegal aliens into the U.S., and Obama and Congress continue to hold the door wide open. I look forward to the day when America takes seriously the cost of illegal immigration and the protection of our nation’s borders.
From the Feb. 3-9, 2010 issue.