- TRRT April 1-7 | Online Edition
- Guest Commentary: the Rockford Apartment Association
- State Roundup: NIU employee improperly reimbursed $30K
- State Roundup: Governor signs budget fix bills
- Rauner, Democratic leaders shake hands and make law
- State roundup: National guardsman and cousin arrested in terror plot
- Lawmaker says license plate readers a privacy threat
- Bryant not the first to feel impact of free agency rules
- State Roundup: Parents’ group calls for standardized test opt-out bill
- Hononegah Mack: ‘The best woman in the county’
Dr Julia’s Inn: ADD/ADHD epidemic among school children
By Dr. Julia Whipkey-Michniewicz, N.D.
Doctor of Naturopathic Medicine
ADD/ADHD has reached an epidemic within school-age children as well as in adults. I see this every day in my practice, and what I have clinically been able to address is three main issues.
1. Heavy metal toxicity (aluminum, mercury, lead, arsenic)
2. Widespread nutritional deficiencies reulting from poor diet with no nutritional value to our foods, refined sugars, refined carbohydrates, hydrogenated oils and trans fats, toxic chemicals for preservatives, growth hormones, colorings, flavoring, and on and on.
3. Wheat, gluten and dairy intolerance.
In my practice, I clinically see deficiencies in B-complex, trace minerals and the correct omega fatty acids. I see wonderful results when I add these three whole food supplements. Not only do I put ADD/ADHD children and adults on these, I also design a diet for THEM. What is an absolute must, is to remove any foods andbeverages that have the above nutritional deficiencies but also remove the foods and beverages that are packaged in aluminum containers. There is further evidence that citric acid enhances the absorption of aluminum directly to the brain and nervous system. It is also important to note that childhood vaccinations contain both aluminum and mercury. These two metals are the most toxic in our environment, and both have been implicated to cause autism. Along with being more mindful of foods, beverages and the containers that they
are in, you need to be aware of your skin products, cookware, utensils, deodorants, cosmetics and so much more. Go back to basics and READ LABELS.
If you are having concerns about your child or a loved one, please call my office for a nutritional work-up. This involves looking at your blood and visually seeing the health of your blood and detecting the presence of heavy metals, checking your urine/saliva to see if you have the correct mineral levels and then nutritional response testing to check your core level and identify the real cause of your health problems and why you are not getting answers about your medical concerns from your doctor.
Dear Dr. Julia, I just wanted to thank you for helping my son, Tony. We were told that Tony was having seizures, but in my heart I knew that diagnosis was not right. It all started when we were on vacation in Florida, and Tony was outside all day in the sun playing with his sister and getting too much sun, was not drinking enough water, and did not even take time out of his swimming fun to eat. That night when we got back to our condo, he started to shake and have tremors, and we took him to a walk-in clinic. There, the doctor on staff told me that he had a seizure and wanted to put Tony on seizure meds. I never filled the prescription, and when we got back home, I shared this with my mother, and she suggested that I see you. After listening to me describe the above events and doing your testing on Tony (Note: The doctor at the walk-in clinic did not even do testing, just handed me a prescription), you explained to me that you thought the events that led up to Tony’s so-called seizure was [sic] dehydration, sun depletion of minerals and blood sugar dropping. This made sense to me. You then checked his mineral levels, and he was very acid for his age; you checked his blood sugar levels, and we talked about what they should be and what Tonyís were, and we talked about the importance of hydration and sunshine.
Thank you so much, Dr. Julia, for being so wise and helping so many people.
Dr. Julia is a Naturopathic Doctor who 10 years ago found out she had breast cancer and did not do the chemical therapy nor the radiation. Her office is in Rockford, and you may reach her at (815) 962-3326.
From the Feb. 10-16, 2010 issue