- Meet John Doe: Businesses, politicians and gov’t should follow junk email laws
- Entertainment abound for this week’s First Friday
- State Roundup: Special election dates set
- Test drive: the 2015 Ford F-150
- Fracking never on a path to sustainability
- Indiana boxes itself into legal corner
- TRRT April 1-7 | Online Edition
- Guest Commentary: the Rockford Apartment Association
- State Roundup: NIU employee improperly reimbursed $30K
- State Roundup: Governor signs budget fix bills
This week in The Times: Morgan Daniels
Vitals: Morgan Daniels, 33, is originally from East St. Louis, Ill. He moved to Rockford six years ago after earning his bachelor’s degree in finance from the University of Southern Illinois. Daniels is unemployed, but spends his free time looking for jobs and reading.
1. If you could choose any elected official – local, state or national – to speak with one-on-one, who would it be and what would you say? I’d speak with Illinois Gov. Pat Quinn (D). The only thing I’d have to say to him is: “Where are all the jobs?” I’ve been out of work for six months now, and the prospects of getting a job are very slim. The more people we have working, the more money they spend – and the state’s economy could sure use some of both.
2. If you were to move away from the Rock River Valley, what three things would you miss the most? I’d miss the Rock River, the parks and all the wildlife in the area.
3. Would you support the proposed bubble law for abortion centers? Yes, I would. Look at all the things that have happened recently outside abortion clinics. I think it would make things much safer.
4. Do you think Rockford needs another convention center? Absolutely not. Have they not learned anything from all the financial struggles of the MetroCentre? Rockford needs another convention center like I need a hole in my head.
5. Question from last week’s “This week in The Times” participant, Chelsea Timmons: In your opinion, what is the best restaurant in Rockford? Personally, I think Los Portales Taqueria on State Street is the best. The food is great, and they stay open until 4 a.m. There are few things better than tacos at 3 in the morning.
“This week in The Times” is a weekly survey of people selected by The Rock River Times staff. The column does not accept unsolicited submissions.
From the Feb. 17-23, 2010 issue