- Telephone fraud on the rise, BBB reports
- Pet Talk: The seeing eye guide dog birthday
- State Police seize 155 pounds of cannabis during traffic stop
- Mitt Romney won’t run in 2016
- Man shot three times near Oakley Avenue, West Jefferson Street
- Goodwill’s free income tax sites open Jan. 30
- Rock Valley College hosts FAFSA Completion Night Feb. 4
- Stateline Fruit and Vegetable Growers Conference Feb. 5
- Cardiology Millennium Conference Feb. 2
- Scammers lurking to trap last-minute Super Bowl ticket buyers
To the Editor: Make a difference!
The Mildred Berry Center’s Compeer mentoring program is in need of volunteers who are able to spend a minimum of four hours a month with a child who is currently receiving counseling services for mental health problems. Volunteers will serve as positive role models and friends, which will help the children overcome the devastating effects of mental illness, such as loneliness and isolation. For more information about the program, or to volunteer, please contact the Compeer Coordinator at (815) 670-0776 or e-mail her at Apenney@janetwattles.org.
Amanda June Penney
From the Feb. 17-23, 2010 issue