- Freeport murder suspect Damon Dixson taken into custody in Rockford
- Local gas station employee arrested for selling liquor to minor
- Renewable Fuel Standard delay ‘a mixed blessing,’ Bustos says
- Rockford delegation presents inaugural ‘Rockford Award’ to Norwegian Air
- Education in Illinois making slow progress, according to report
- Illinois GOP Congressional delegation: Obama’s immigration plan undermines rule of law
- Suspect, 17, charged in Halloween hit-and-run in Roscoe
- Saint Anthony College of Nursing president to retire
- Man found guilty in deadly August 2013 crash at Mulford and Garrett Lane
- ‘The Price is Right Live!’ at Coronado March 1; tickets on sale Nov. 21
This week in the Times: Kim DeLaney
Kim DeLaney, 22, is a Rockford native. She is attending courses at Southern Illinois University, where she is pursuing her bachelor’s in communications. In her free time, DeLaney enjoys reading and spending time in many of the Rock River Valley’s parks.
1. If you could choose any elected official – local, state or national – to speak with one-on-one, who would it be and what would you say? I’d love to ask Mayor Larry Morrissey (I) what he plans on doing to improve our schools. From what I hear from my friends that are teachers, things seem pretty bad now in the schools.
2. If you were to move away from the Rock River Valley, what three things would you miss the most? I’d miss Beef-A-Roo, the parks and my family.
3. Do you think our government can completely heal our health care system by passing bills? Probably not. I think the biggest problem now is what people have to pay without insurance. If everyone started paying hospitals and doctors directly, that may help drive the cost down some, but who knows? The problem now is the cost, not availability.
4. Do you think Rockford needs another convention center? No. Absolutely not. The one we have now is floundering.
5. Question from last week’s “This week in The Times” participant, Morgan Daniels: In your opinion, what is the best restaurant in Rockford? I’d have to say that when I come home, I always make it a point to go to Sunrise Family Restaurant. I love the food there, and the service is just as good as the food.
“This week in The Times” is a weekly survey of people selected by The Rock River Times staff. The column does not accept unsolicited submissions.
From the Mar. 3-9, 2010 issue