- Stockholm Inn to be honored by Illinois Office of Tourism
- Winnebago County Sheriff’s Office to be out in force during Thanksgiving holiday
- Wallace co-sponsors bill to increase minimum wage
- Stadelman’s measure to prevent layoffs passes state Senate
- More than 46 million Americans to travel for Thanksgiving, most since 2007
- Parks and recreation vital to a stronger Illinois, report shows
- Illinois home sales see slight gain in October
- Rockford Rescue Mission on the front lines of battling war on homelessness
- Rockford Area Economic Development Council’s annual meeting highlights tech revolution
- NIU’s Dan Gebo named ‘Illinois Professor of the Year’
To the Editor: Rock River Trail–an idea worth promoting
Frank Schier’s proposal for a Rock River Trail is an idea I can fully support. We have wonderful natural resources here in the upper Midwest, and we must promote them. I was recently in Florida enjoying warm weather, but when thoughts of moving there struck me, I recalled how much I love our beautiful land and river scape, and how much Florida is the same wherever you go. Florida, a nice place to visit, but…
I have been much enjoying our winter here. This is a great time to go out and explore our parks and forest preserves. Tromping through the snow adds considerably to the effort to hike, but the reward is a vastly different landscape from the summer scene, when you can’t see the forest for the trees. With greenery gone, the bluffs and ravines of our land stand out and inspire. The glistening snow reflects through the trees that filter only slightly the days with blue skies. Our parks become remarkably different places. With sufficient snow cover, one can also easily blaze new paths to find never-before-seen vistas and lookouts.
I urge all outdoorsy people to shake off this long winter’s blues and put on your boots, find a cooperative friend or dog, and take advantage of a prime season for getting to know our natural resources all the better before the opportunity passes.
New Milford, Ill.
From the Mar. 10-16, 2010 issue