- Nov. 4 General Election endorsements: Retain County Clerk Margie Mullins
- Nov. 4 General Election endorsements: Re-elect Jesse White
- Nov. 4 General Election endorsements: Elect Sheila Simon as state comptroller
- Brad Roos to step down as Zion Development executive director
- Smash your pumpkin at Rockford’s Discovery Center Nov. 2
- Control the candy without limiting the Halloween fun
- RHS Ambassadors host Halloween party for hospitalized children
- Beware of the energy-sucking vampires in your home, ComEd warns
- Rockford Park District golf season begins to wrap up
- Two locals to be honored among state’s top college students
Seventh anniversary of invasion of Iraq–local activities
From press release
Rockford Peace & Justice Action Committee joins hundreds of peace rallies across the country marking the seventh anniversary of the Iraq invasion. “One of the worst decisions our country’s ever made,” says Vietnam veteran and RP&JAC spokesman Stanley Campbell.
Rockford’s peace rally will take place Wednesday, March 24, beginning at 5:30 p.m. in front of Waterside Park, the little park at Water Street and East State by the river. People will congregate, share prayers and song, and at 6 p.m., walk across the bridge to the Veterans’ Memorial Statue (North Main and Mulberry) to lay flowers commemorating the war dead.
Every Wednesday, prayers for peace are said at the park, from 5:30-6 p.m. March 24 will be the culmination of a series of regional (and national) peace activities marking the seventh anniversary of the Iraq invasion.
March on Washington—Saturday, March 20
Get on the buses from Chicago! U.S. out of Afghanistan and Iraq Now. Call their office at (773) 463-0311 for more info.
Peace Rally—Saturday, March 20
A peace rally will be held at noon in Aurora, Ill., on the Illinois Street bridge near the Prisco Center. This event is sponsored by the Aurora Peace & Justice group.
Rally in St. Charles—March 20
Fox Valley Citizens for Peace & Justice will hold a rally at 2:30 p.m. in St. Charles, Ill., on Route 64 on the bridge between First Avenue and First Street. They will have several speakers including the “renowned Stanley Campbell” of Rockford.
For more information, call Stanley Campbell at (815) 964-7111.
From the March 17-23, 2010 issue