- Boys’ basketball holiday tournament tips off tonight
- Ribbon-cutting for Children’s Holiday Shoppe Nov. 26; shop is open Nov. 29-Dec. 21
- Rockford Rescue Mission invites community to Thanksgiving banquet Nov. 26
- Rockton’s new business district welcomes family owned Dr. Detail U.S. Cellular
- 2014 Illinois Emerging Writers Competition winners named
- Open house for new library executive director tonight
- Freeport murder suspect Damon Dixson taken into custody in Rockford
- Local gas station employee arrested for selling liquor to minor
- Renewable Fuel Standard delay ‘a mixed blessing,’ Bustos says
- Rockford delegation presents inaugural ‘Rockford Award’ to Norwegian Air
Seventh anniversary of invasion of Iraq–local activities
From press release
Rockford Peace & Justice Action Committee joins hundreds of peace rallies across the country marking the seventh anniversary of the Iraq invasion. “One of the worst decisions our country’s ever made,” says Vietnam veteran and RP&JAC spokesman Stanley Campbell.
Rockford’s peace rally will take place Wednesday, March 24, beginning at 5:30 p.m. in front of Waterside Park, the little park at Water Street and East State by the river. People will congregate, share prayers and song, and at 6 p.m., walk across the bridge to the Veterans’ Memorial Statue (North Main and Mulberry) to lay flowers commemorating the war dead.
Every Wednesday, prayers for peace are said at the park, from 5:30-6 p.m. March 24 will be the culmination of a series of regional (and national) peace activities marking the seventh anniversary of the Iraq invasion.
March on Washington—Saturday, March 20
Get on the buses from Chicago! U.S. out of Afghanistan and Iraq Now. Call their office at (773) 463-0311 for more info.
Peace Rally—Saturday, March 20
A peace rally will be held at noon in Aurora, Ill., on the Illinois Street bridge near the Prisco Center. This event is sponsored by the Aurora Peace & Justice group.
Rally in St. Charles—March 20
Fox Valley Citizens for Peace & Justice will hold a rally at 2:30 p.m. in St. Charles, Ill., on Route 64 on the bridge between First Avenue and First Street. They will have several speakers including the “renowned Stanley Campbell” of Rockford.
For more information, call Stanley Campbell at (815) 964-7111.
From the March 17-23, 2010 issue