- Man pleads guilty but mentally ill in 2013 murder
- Telephone, computer network outages at 22 Rockford schools
- Byron native selected as Sailor of the Year for Navy Band Southwest
- Illinois Tollway awards $337 million in contracts, sets budget
- 44 earn bachelor’s degrees at Saint Anthony College of Nursing
- Goodwill opens Donation Express site on Perryville
- Rock Valley College to manage TechWorks program
- University of Illinois at Chicago names chancellor
- Salvation Army to distribute food, toys to nearly 2,000 families
- American Manufacturing Competitiveness Act signed into law
Severson Dells Notes: ‘Spring Awakening Gathering’ set for March 20
From Severson Dells Nature Center
Severson Dells Nature Center will host a “Spring Awakening Gathering” starting at 2 p.m., Saturday, March 20. The event will be at the “Pec Barn” within the Pecatonica River Forest Preserve; entrance is at 7260 Judd Road, Pecatonica, Ill.
Enjoy the celebration of the coming spring season and have fun with the whole family while participating in the following events:
Sugar Mapling, 2-3:30 p.m., free—Join Winnebago County Forest Preserve District staff to learn more about the hows and whys of sugar mapling. Help tap some trees and follow the path of the sap from tree to syrup. Enjoy some maple syrup on frozen custard. (Thank you to Culver’s of Winnebago owner Sue Fingland for providing the frozen custard.)
Boot Scootin’ Barn Dance, 3:30-5 p.m.—Come out and enjoy this fun way to welcome the coming spring. We all will be having such a great time, it will seem like the barn is dancing. The whole family is welcome to come and participate or watch. One need not to worry about dancing abilities, only dancing attitude. This year, we have something a little different! Join Linda Halley, line dance teacher extraordinaire, as she and some friends take us through some easy steps. Guaranteed to be lots of fun and a great time. Linda teaches dance at the Roscoe Methodist Church and Betty’s Western Wear.
Community Supper, 5:15-6:45 p.m., free—Enjoy the hard work and great recipes of the folks from the region at this potluck dinner. Bring your own tableware and dish to pass, and take in the feast. Severson Dells will provide lemonade and coffee for drinks, as well as frozen custard with maple syrup (while it lasts.) Please call if you plan to attend so we can have plenty for all: (815) 335-2915.
Witness a Prairie Fire, 6:45 p.m., free—The prairie fire is one of the most exciting occurrences of the spring. If conditions are right, we will burn the restored prairie east of the Pec Barn. The prairie is burned so it remains in a quality state. As the sun is setting, view this incredible spectacle as flames reach high into the evening sky. It promises to be one of those nights that will be etched into your mind for a long time.
For more about Severson Dells, visit seversondells.com.
From the March 17-23, 2010 issue