- Nov. 4 General Election endorsements: Retain County Clerk Margie Mullins
- Nov. 4 General Election endorsements: Re-elect Jesse White
- Nov. 4 General Election endorsements: Elect Sheila Simon as state comptroller
- Brad Roos to step down as Zion Development executive director
- Smash your pumpkin at Rockford’s Discovery Center Nov. 2
- Control the candy without limiting the Halloween fun
- RHS Ambassadors host Halloween party for hospitalized children
- Beware of the energy-sucking vampires in your home, ComEd warns
- Rockford Park District golf season begins to wrap up
- Two locals to be honored among state’s top college students
To the Editor: Come to Rockton Tea Party March 18
I’ve worked for causes before, but I have to say that I have never had the response I have received from Tea Party. Americans are scared as they have never been before. We face a very real prospect of the government requiring you to convert your 401(k)s and IRAs into government-provided annuities. The money you’ve socked away for years will be appropriated, and you’ll get a monthly payout, but will have no claim to the principal. Government hearings have already been held, floating the concept. How else will Obama pay for his profligate programs?
We have an administration that will double the national debt (not the annual deficit) by 2012 and triple it by 2019. They seem indifferent to concerns over radical Islamists, and are even packing the Justice Department with lawyers who have defended Al-Qaeda detainees pro bono (for no attorney’s fee). It seems that Right to Lifers, gun owners and Iraq War veterans are the most dangerous people around, not Al-Qaeda!
If you fear for the future, come to the next Northern IL Tea Party meeting at the Rockton Town Hall, 1315 N. Blackhawk, on Thursday, March 18 at 6:30 p.m. call 815-964-4588. Room for all.
Jane Ryan Carrell
From the March 17-23, 2010 issue