- Conservatives join New Hampshire rally in support of campaign finance reform
- 11 public housing residents complete job readiness training
- Youth health care enrollment event at NIU Rockford Jan. 29
- More than 50 employers at Jan. 29 job fair
- School district’s credit rating remains solid
- State Police seize LSD, cannabis, U.S. currency in I-80 arrest
- Park District names employee, team of the year
- A closer look at fracking for natural gas
- Susan Johnson, copy editor, moves on after 21 years
- Guest Column: Clean Water Act: Supporters of clean water must make their voices heard
To the Editor: Come to Rockton Tea Party March 18
I’ve worked for causes before, but I have to say that I have never had the response I have received from Tea Party. Americans are scared as they have never been before. We face a very real prospect of the government requiring you to convert your 401(k)s and IRAs into government-provided annuities. The money you’ve socked away for years will be appropriated, and you’ll get a monthly payout, but will have no claim to the principal. Government hearings have already been held, floating the concept. How else will Obama pay for his profligate programs?
We have an administration that will double the national debt (not the annual deficit) by 2012 and triple it by 2019. They seem indifferent to concerns over radical Islamists, and are even packing the Justice Department with lawyers who have defended Al-Qaeda detainees pro bono (for no attorney’s fee). It seems that Right to Lifers, gun owners and Iraq War veterans are the most dangerous people around, not Al-Qaeda!
If you fear for the future, come to the next Northern IL Tea Party meeting at the Rockton Town Hall, 1315 N. Blackhawk, on Thursday, March 18 at 6:30 p.m. call 815-964-4588. Room for all.
Jane Ryan Carrell
From the March 17-23, 2010 issue