- BGA sues Chicago Police Department over transparency
- Clean water groups highlight progress for Apple River, call for more success stories
- Lincoln associates found in recently discovered 1840 Menard County census
- BIFF Year ’Round presents the documentary ‘Slingshot’ Oct. 29
- Rockford’s Discovery Center presents ‘Spooky Science’ Oct. 25
- Academic Dr. Duke Pesta speaks against Common Core, part 2
- Rockford Record Crawl 2014 celebrates music, indie retailers
- Early voting continues after ballot error corrected
- Caruana outpacing Springer in money race for sheriff
- Week 8 NFL picks: Lions, Packers will continue to share NFC North lead
Cheers of jeers likely for Tiger at Masters–how do you vote?
By Doug Halberstadt
Tiger Woods has made it official. He is scheduled to return to competition at this year’s Masters Tournament April 5-11. I’m sure the PGA couldn’t be happier.
His return to golf will surely mean bigger television ratings and added ticket sales. Both things should result in increased revenue for the slumping tour. He’s the CPR the golf doctor ordered.
I’ve already written a column about Tiger and his indiscretions and his public apology. I really don’t have much more to say about that issue. What I’m most interested in now is how the fans will react to him when he steps up to that first tee box.
Usually, golf fans are supposed to be somewhat reserved. I have a feeling they’ll be anything but reserved this year. It’ll either be cheers or jeers. You can be assured fans will let their feelings be known.
I’d like to take an unscientific poll. You can simply e-mail me the word “boo” or “yeah” depending on how you would react if you were to see Tiger up close and personal. I’ll keep track of the votes, and we’ll see if it mirrors what’s going to happen to him on the national level. Feel free to add any comments supporting your position if you so desire. I say, “Yeah!”
Doug Halberstadt can be reached via e-mail at Dougster61@aol.com.
From the March 24-30, 2010 issue