- Suspect, 17, charged in Halloween hit-and-run in Roscoe
- Saint Anthony College of Nursing president to retire
- Man found guilty in deadly August 2013 crash at Mulford and Garrett Lane
- ‘The Price is Right Live!’ at Coronado March 1; tickets on sale Nov. 21
- Rockford’s E. Faye Butler to perform at Ten Chimneys in Wisconsin
- Stockholm Inn to be honored by Illinois Office of Tourism
- Winnebago County Sheriff’s Office to be out in force during Thanksgiving holiday
- Wallace co-sponsors bill to increase minimum wage
- Stadelman’s measure to prevent layoffs passes state Senate
- More than 46 million Americans to travel for Thanksgiving, most since 2007
Literary Hook: Check out my workshop this May at The Clearing in Door County
By Christine Swanberg
Author and Poet
Each year, this column runs a series on offerings for writers at The Clearing in Door County, Wisconsin.
As taken from this year’s Clearing catalog: “The mission of The Clearing is to provide diverse educational experiences in the folk school tradition, in a setting of quiet forests, meadows and waters. The Clearing is a place where adults who share an interest in nature, arts and humanities can learn, reflect and wonder. This is in keeping with the goals of Jens Jensen, founder of The Clearing, who loved it as a special place where one could feel kinship with the earth and reassess one’s life.”
“The Process of Writing” will be offered May 9-16. This class will include a balance of discussion, writing prompts, time to write, sharing and critiquing. Discussions will include: examining the creative process, motivation and ideas for writing, the pros and cons of critiquing, preparation and protocol for public readings, community influence, and marketing poetry and short prose. Flash fiction, memoir, essay and poetry will be covered.
I will be facilitating this workshop again, and hope to see some area writers there. For more information about tuition, lodging, meals and a more detailed description of a week at The Clearing, see www.theclearing.org or call toll-free at 877-854-3225.
Christine Swanberg is a local author and poet.
From the March 31-April 6, 2010 issue