- Beware of online Halloween scams
- Rockton Lions raise funds for Talcott Free Library during Oct. 10 Candy Day
- Former Belvidere North teacher pleads guilty to sex charge
- Police ask for help in weekend armed robbery
- Belvidere football coach returns to sidelines after hazing probe
- IceHogs split weekend on the road
- Dog and cat adoption event at Children’s Home + Aid Oct. 20
- Arrest warrant issued in string of burglaries
- The Odds Man: Bills, Seahawks good bets in NFL Week 7
- SwedishAmerican to build new clinic in Byron
Literary Hook: Check out my workshop this May at The Clearing in Door County
By Christine Swanberg
Author and Poet
Each year, this column runs a series on offerings for writers at The Clearing in Door County, Wisconsin.
As taken from this year’s Clearing catalog: “The mission of The Clearing is to provide diverse educational experiences in the folk school tradition, in a setting of quiet forests, meadows and waters. The Clearing is a place where adults who share an interest in nature, arts and humanities can learn, reflect and wonder. This is in keeping with the goals of Jens Jensen, founder of The Clearing, who loved it as a special place where one could feel kinship with the earth and reassess one’s life.”
“The Process of Writing” will be offered May 9-16. This class will include a balance of discussion, writing prompts, time to write, sharing and critiquing. Discussions will include: examining the creative process, motivation and ideas for writing, the pros and cons of critiquing, preparation and protocol for public readings, community influence, and marketing poetry and short prose. Flash fiction, memoir, essay and poetry will be covered.
I will be facilitating this workshop again, and hope to see some area writers there. For more information about tuition, lodging, meals and a more detailed description of a week at The Clearing, see www.theclearing.org or call toll-free at 877-854-3225.
Christine Swanberg is a local author and poet.
From the March 31-April 6, 2010 issue