- Rockford Public Library announces choice for new director
- 27 businesses penalized for selling alcohol to minors
- Woman, two teens arrested following narcotics investigation
- Former county officials charged with theft
- New Zion Baptist participates in National Back to Church Sunday Sept. 21
- Donors celebrate new school health center
- Debris cleanup underway near Fordham Dam
- Some good, some bad in Obama executive order on protecting antibiotics
- Two arrested on cannabis charges after search of detached garage on North Henrietta
- Man guilty of drug charges faces 60 years in prison
April 10 event teaches self-defense, benefits Haiti relief
From press release
A martial arts event benefiting Haiti Relief will be held at Elite Defense Systems April 10 in Rockford. The volunteer coordinator for the event is owner and chief instructor Matt Numrich, who encourages anyone who wants to learn self-defense and help those who were affected by the recent earthquake to attend the event.
Elite Defense Systems is a martial arts Academy that has been conducting classes in the area for more than 10 years. They will ask for a small donation of $5-$20 for seminars covering child safety, female self-defense, and an adult (co-ed) seminar. All three seminars will be run simultaneously, but separately to focus on the self-defense needs of each group.
All levels are invited to the event, which will run from 1 to 2 p.m. The seminars will be hands-on, so dress comfortably. In addition, they will also run a “Grapple-A-Thon” (2 to 4 p.m.) where participants are pledged in a ground fighting/wrestling event for two hours, non-stop. By participating in or attending these events, you will help raise funds for Haiti directly.
The event will be at Elite Defense Systems Martial Arts Center, 5695 Strathmoor Drive, Rockford, behind St. Anthony’s Hospital/OSF. If you are interested in participating or making a donation, call Numrich at (815) 885-4758. For more information, visit www.EliteJKD.com.
From the April 7-13, 2010 issue