- Goodwill’s free income tax sites open Jan. 30
- Rock Valley College hosts FAFSA Completion Night Feb. 4
- Stateline Fruit and Vegetable Growers Conference Feb. 5
- Cardiology Millennium Conference Feb. 2
- Scammers lurking to trap last-minute Super Bowl ticket buyers
- Sharing memories of Ernie Banks
- EarthTalk: What fish can we eat?
- Rock Valley College hosts entrepreneurship event Jan. 30
- Tube Talk: ‘The Americans’ begins third season
- Conservatives join New Hampshire rally in support of campaign finance reform
April 10 event teaches self-defense, benefits Haiti relief
From press release
A martial arts event benefiting Haiti Relief will be held at Elite Defense Systems April 10 in Rockford. The volunteer coordinator for the event is owner and chief instructor Matt Numrich, who encourages anyone who wants to learn self-defense and help those who were affected by the recent earthquake to attend the event.
Elite Defense Systems is a martial arts Academy that has been conducting classes in the area for more than 10 years. They will ask for a small donation of $5-$20 for seminars covering child safety, female self-defense, and an adult (co-ed) seminar. All three seminars will be run simultaneously, but separately to focus on the self-defense needs of each group.
All levels are invited to the event, which will run from 1 to 2 p.m. The seminars will be hands-on, so dress comfortably. In addition, they will also run a “Grapple-A-Thon” (2 to 4 p.m.) where participants are pledged in a ground fighting/wrestling event for two hours, non-stop. By participating in or attending these events, you will help raise funds for Haiti directly.
The event will be at Elite Defense Systems Martial Arts Center, 5695 Strathmoor Drive, Rockford, behind St. Anthony’s Hospital/OSF. If you are interested in participating or making a donation, call Numrich at (815) 885-4758. For more information, visit www.EliteJKD.com.
From the April 7-13, 2010 issue