- Tales from the Trough: IceHogs rebound with four straight wins
- Clean water groups, small business owners, community leaders celebrate Clean Water Act
- Police investigate death of 71-year-old man who was struck in October while riding in his wheelchair
- Woman gets 10 years for 2013 involuntary manslaughter
- Secretary of State Police to target abuse of disability parking on Black Friday
- Illinois Commerce Commission approves 500-mile direct-current electric wind power line
- Meet John Doe: Rockford could benefit from the new Digital Manufacturing and Design Innovation Institute in Chicago
- Tech-Friendly: Surface Pro 3 ad comparing it to MacBook Air is a joke
- Chicago restaurateur Billy Lawless to introduce Obama during immigration speech in Chicago
- Travel Wisconsin Snow Conditions Report assists snow seekers
April 10 event teaches self-defense, benefits Haiti relief
From press release
A martial arts event benefiting Haiti Relief will be held at Elite Defense Systems April 10 in Rockford. The volunteer coordinator for the event is owner and chief instructor Matt Numrich, who encourages anyone who wants to learn self-defense and help those who were affected by the recent earthquake to attend the event.
Elite Defense Systems is a martial arts Academy that has been conducting classes in the area for more than 10 years. They will ask for a small donation of $5-$20 for seminars covering child safety, female self-defense, and an adult (co-ed) seminar. All three seminars will be run simultaneously, but separately to focus on the self-defense needs of each group.
All levels are invited to the event, which will run from 1 to 2 p.m. The seminars will be hands-on, so dress comfortably. In addition, they will also run a “Grapple-A-Thon” (2 to 4 p.m.) where participants are pledged in a ground fighting/wrestling event for two hours, non-stop. By participating in or attending these events, you will help raise funds for Haiti directly.
The event will be at Elite Defense Systems Martial Arts Center, 5695 Strathmoor Drive, Rockford, behind St. Anthony’s Hospital/OSF. If you are interested in participating or making a donation, call Numrich at (815) 885-4758. For more information, visit www.EliteJKD.com.
From the April 7-13, 2010 issue