- Woman, two teens arrested following narcotics investigation
- Former county officials charged with theft
- New Zion Baptist participates in National Back to Church Sunday Sept. 21
- Donors celebrate new school health center
- Debris cleanup underway near Fordham Dam
- Some good, some bad in Obama executive order on protecting antibiotics
- Two arrested on cannabis charges after search of detached garage on North Henrietta
- Man guilty of drug charges faces 60 years in prison
- Rockford BBB aware of ‘Microsoft’ phone scam
- Judge: Chad Grimm will remain on Illinois governor ballot
Eating the right foods can help keep you healthy
By Jan Herbert
Rockford Park District
Whether you were “green” before the color was fashionable or whether you’re just ready to find the “shade” that works best for you, here’s information about doing just “one green thing.”
Food For Health:
Everybody knows to use vitamin C to prevent a cold (with oranges, grapefruits, peaches and red pepper), but there are many other ways you can enjoy food and stay healthy:
Add garlic to your meals to fortify you against colds (you get them in the spring, too).
Did you ever notice Bugs Bunny having a headache? You could try eating lots of carrots to help reduce inflammation in the blood vessels of your brain. Stocking up on vegetable muffins can’t be all bad!
You can get more moisture into your skin from the omega-3 of walnuts and they help keep your energy level up as well. If dry skin has already set in, until those walnuts do the job, you might want to try Redbook’s recipe for Honey Yogurt Lotion—2 tablespoons of honey, 1/2 cup plain yogurt, 1 teaspoon grapefruit zest and 1 cup iced black tea. Hummm…almost sounds like it could be another new cocktail name…a Honey Yogurt-tini?
For more information, e-mail Jan Herbert at JanHerbert@RockfordParkdistrict.org.
From the April 7-13, 2010 issue