- Bill limits automated license plate readers
- Private uni’s subject to FOIA says House
- Guest Commentary: Earth Day or April Fools Day?
- State Roundup: Concerns raised about proposed change in DUI pot standard
- Bill would decrease pot penalties; small amounts would draw only ticket, fine
- Senate votes to restore human service cuts; bill moves to House for consideration
- Bill to restrict red light cameras passes House
- State Roundup: Budget fix in current FY not yet done
- State Roundup: GOMB Director won’t support borrowing
- Economists: pros, cons to raising the state fuel tax
Community news and notes: Week of April 14-20, 2010
Two OSF Saint Anthony nurses recently received Nurse Excellence Awards during the 2010 Nurses Expo. Christine Anderson MS, RN, APN-BC, cardiovascular clinical nurse specialist, and Theresa Fritz RNC-OB, staff nurse in the maternal/child service department, were both praised for their professionalism, expertise and impact on the nursing profession. Anderson was cited for not only raising the level of nursing expertise at OSF Saint Anthony, but for consistently working to increase nursing awareness on critical issues affecting the advancement of the profession on a statewide level. Fritz, a graduate of OSF Saint Anthony School of Nursing, was honored for raising the level of nursing expertise in the obstetrics department and throughout the area. She was also cited for the “coaching” program she developed for patients dealing with pain. … WTVO Channel 17 and WQRF FOX 39 recently welcomed Ty Shesky as their new chief meteorologist. Shesky is a Certified Broadcast Meteorologist and has also earned his National Weather Association and American Meteorological Society seals of approval. Shesky will be on the air weeknights during the WTVO Channel 17 News at 5, 6 and 10 p.m., and during the WQRF FOX 39 Evening News at 6:30 p.m. and the WQRF FOX 39 News at 9 p.m. … Janet Vrtol joined the local Workforce Investment Board as manager for Area 4, which includes Carroll, Jo Daviess, Ogle, Stephenson and Whiteside counties. She will help promote workforce development in the five-county area by supporting and coordinating the activities of the board and the chief elected officials. … Bob St. Clair, owner of Luxury Bath of Loves Park, Ill., was selected as chairman of the Best Bath Systems National Dealer Advisory Board, which is composed of eight nominated and selected business owners who have demonstrated excellent business experience and integrity. The focus of the advisory board is to respond to national challenges, offer product innovations and respond to marketing concepts.
From the April 14-20, 2010 issue