Five fast home improvement tips from Floor Coverings International
From press release
SMYRNA, Ga.—In need of some improvement? For many Americans, that answer is a resounding “yes” as homeowners are on track to spend more than $110.9 billion remodeling their homes by the end of the year, according to the Leading Indicator of Remodeling Activity.
The experts at Floor Coverings International (FCI), North America’s leading shop-at-home flooring retailer, know that many homeowners—both old and new—are on very tight budgets given the current economic conditions and want the biggest bang for their buck without compromising style and quality. Following are five fast tips homeowners can use to give their abodes an instant lift:
1. Install hardwood: Hardwood remains the most requested floor covering in almost every market because wood provides a classic look that goes well with almost any style of home, furniture or décor. The experts at FCI say to mix and match species, finishes and widths for a truly unique look in any room; as for maintenance, a broom, dustpan and the occasional mop are all it takes to keep hardwood looking like new.
2. Consider vinyl: Luxury vinyl flooring, or PVC, looks like wood but is more durable and heavier duty than the material it emulates, making it a perfect choice for high-traffic households. With this medium, FCI says changing temperatures and messes from snow, rain and dirt are non-issues because vinyl is easy to clean, resistant to wood’s wear-and-tear and has the ability to last much longer than other flooring options.
3. Explore decorative inlays: Metals like aluminum and stainless and galvanized steel provide a striking, industrial look to any room while translucent, gem-like surface of glass tiles reflect light wherever they are placed. FCI says mixing these materials with tile or wood, for example, can create a subtle separation of space and can be positioned in a specific way to direct foot traffic into or away from a space.
4. Add accent rugs: Accent rugs are one of the easiest and inexpensive of ways to transform the look of any room within minutes. FCI suggests using an area rug as a focal point to tie the entire room together or to add an unexpected burst of color into an otherwise neutral palette.
5. Go green: Flooring manufacturers are constantly debuting eco-friendly options using a range of renewable resources. FCI recommends Shaw Industries’ cradle-to-cradle carpeting option, where the nylon material can be recycled into all-new carpeting every five to seven years. For homeowners who prefer wood, FCI suggests engineered and reclaimed wood as well as bamboo and cork—two materials that are as plentiful as they are pleasing.
Founded in 1988, Smyrna, Ga.-based Floor Coverings International is a shop-at-home floor-covering retailer offering more than 3,000 flooring options from the top brands in flooring at competitive prices. FCI’s Design Associates bring product and design leadership to consumers when considering their flooring needs, style and budget as well as provide professional installation services. FCI’s products include carpet, hardwood, laminates, luxury vinyl, ceramic tile, area rugs and window coverings. FCI operates more than 80 franchises in the U.S. and Canada, and plans to open at least 20 new franchises in 2010 in both major metropolitan areas as well as secondary markets. For more information, visit www.floorcoveringsinternational.com.
From the April 14-20, 2010 issue