- Dimke: ‘I’m not going to retire’
- IMRF responds: Pay spiking against the rules
- Bill limits automated license plate readers
- Private uni’s subject to FOIA says House
- Guest Commentary: Earth Day or April Fools Day?
- State Roundup: Concerns raised about proposed change in DUI pot standard
- Bill would decrease pot penalties; small amounts would draw only ticket, fine
- Senate votes to restore human service cuts; bill moves to House for consideration
- Bill to restrict red light cameras passes House
- State Roundup: Budget fix in current FY not yet done
Prove you’re a Cubs fan: Donate $1 to Little Cubs Field
By Doug Halberstadt
Do you consider yourself a Cubs fan? Millions and millions of people around the world claim they are. How do you prove it? Wearing a jersey or a hat, going to games at Wrigley and following the team on the road, and watching or listening to games on television and radio are just a few of the ways people can show their love for their beloved team.
Now, Little Cubs Field in Freeport, Ill., is asking each and every one who claims to be a Cubs fan to send them $1. The “Dollar for a Dream” fund-raising campaign kicked off Monday (April 19). The goal is to raise $1 million, one dollar at a time. All Cubs fans are asked to donate just $1 to the cause. You may donate $1 for each Cubs fan in your family if you like. They’d like to prove there are more than 1 million Cubs fans in the world!
Money raised will be used to:
1) Replicate the iconic left and right field bleachers that are part of Wrigley Field. This will allow more attendance and larger events for charitable causes at Little Cubs Field.
2) Sponsor more youth-related events, tournaments, and leagues at Little Cubs Field.
3) Allow other charitable organizations to use Little Cubs Field free to fund their own causes.
4) Continue to make Little Cubs Field the “coolest baseball field in the world”—where “Kids can be grown-ups and grown-ups can be kids.”
Fans who would like to publicly admit to their love of the Cubs and help a good cause can donate to “Dollar for a Dream” by mailing in a check, money order, or cashier’s check to: Little Cubs Field (c/o CVB), 4596 U.S. Route 20 East, Freeport, IL 61032, or they can make a contribution with a credit card on the Little Cubs Field Web site at www.littlecubsfield.com.
Facts about Little Cubs Field
1) No board members are paid and never have been.
2) The group that runs the park is a 501(c)(3) non-profit organization.
3) Little Cubs Field was built with 95 percent volunteer labor.
4) Little Cubs Field and its visitors generated more than $150,000 into the Stephenson County economy in 2009.
5) People from 47 states and 27 countries have visited Little Cubs Field.
I mailed in my dollar. Now, if you’re truly a Cubs fan, it’s your turn.
From the April 21-27, 2010 issue