- Beware of online Halloween scams
- Rockton Lions raise funds for Talcott Free Library during Oct. 10 Candy Day
- Former Belvidere North teacher pleads guilty to sex charge
- Police ask for help in weekend armed robbery
- Belvidere football coach returns to sidelines after hazing probe
- IceHogs split weekend on the road
- Dog and cat adoption event at Children’s Home + Aid Oct. 20
- Arrest warrant issued in string of burglaries
- The Odds Man: Bills, Seahawks good bets in NFL Week 7
- SwedishAmerican to build new clinic in Byron
This week in The Times: Sherry Witz
Vitals: Sherry Witz, 35, works as the office manager and as a massage therapist at Serenity Massage & Aesthetics in Rockford. Witz is a native of Roscoe, but attended massage school in Napa Valley, California.
1. If you could choose any elected official – local, state or national – to speak with one-on-one, who would it be and what would you say? I would try to convince state senators to have holistic health care covered by insurance.
2. If you were to move away from the Rock River Valley, what three things would you miss the most? I’d miss enjoying the beauty of the Rock River while walking the bike path, exploring the cafés, pubs, wine bars, galleries, etc., in the downtown area and appreciating the art, visual character and style of the old buildings.
3. What aspects of holistic health care could the average American benefit the most from? Perhaps the most beneficial thing would be the understanding that the body has an amazing, natural way of healing itself. Acupuncture can clear the body of blocked energy pathways that lead to physical, mental or emotional issues. Massage increases the blood flow in the body, releasing pent-up stress, increasing range of motion, and improving flexibility. It also clears the mind of chaos and leaves one feeling balanced and relaxed. There are a myriad of holistic approaches to help heal the body, without the dangerous side-effects of Western medicine.
4. What guidance would you give someone interested in beginning a holistic health care regimen? Definitely visit a holistic doctor to have your body assessed. This will help find any physical, emotional or mental issues you may be experiencing. A routine of regular massage and acupuncture would be highly beneficial to keep the stress of daily life under control and keep your body healthy.
5. Question from last week’s “This week in The Times” participant, Jan Fosse: What is your favorite summer activity? Spending time with my son outdoors at a park, or visiting with my family.
“This week in The Times” is a weekly survey of people selected by The Rock River Times staff. The column does not accept unsolicited submissions.
From the April 21-27, 2010 issue