- Goodwill’s free income tax sites open Jan. 30
- Rock Valley College hosts FAFSA Completion Night Feb. 4
- Stateline Fruit and Vegetable Growers Conference Feb. 5
- Cardiology Millennium Conference Feb. 2
- Scammers lurking to trap last-minute Super Bowl ticket buyers
- Sharing memories of Ernie Banks
- EarthTalk: What fish can we eat?
- Rock Valley College hosts entrepreneurship event Jan. 30
- Tube Talk: ‘The Americans’ begins third season
- Conservatives join New Hampshire rally in support of campaign finance reform
Touring pelicans make pit stop at Rockford
Ogle County resident Tom Eighmy found these white pelicans resting on an island in the middle of the Rock River along Route 2. He said the birds were first spotted Tuesday, April 13, flying past his house. Later, he said, “someone told us they were on the island,” so he went out to see them. They came by every night from Tuesday the 13th through Friday, April 16. The pelicans settled for a while along the river between Rockford and Byron. Eighmy estimates there were about 50-60 birds.