- Boys’ basketball holiday tournament tips off tonight
- Ribbon-cutting for Children’s Holiday Shoppe Nov. 26; shop is open Nov. 29-Dec. 21
- Rockford Rescue Mission invites community to Thanksgiving banquet Nov. 26
- Rockton’s new business district welcomes family owned Dr. Detail U.S. Cellular
- 2014 Illinois Emerging Writers Competition winners named
- Open house for new library executive director tonight
- Freeport murder suspect Damon Dixson taken into custody in Rockford
- Local gas station employee arrested for selling liquor to minor
- Renewable Fuel Standard delay ‘a mixed blessing,’ Bustos says
- Rockford delegation presents inaugural ‘Rockford Award’ to Norwegian Air
Hands-on PV class May 8, beginning wind class May 22
From press release
OREGON, Ill.—Does the idea of saving money on your energy bills interest you? Have you thought about generating your own electricity for your home? If so, you might be interested in the classes the Illinois Renewable Energy Association (IREA) will be offering near Oregon, Ill.
A hands-on PV (photovoltaic, solar electric) class will be Saturday, May 8. People attending this class will work with solar panels designed for a home installation and will actually assemble the entire installation, which will be ready for use by the end of the day.
Saturday, May 22, a beginning wind class will be held. It will provide a complete overview of wind power: what it is, how it works, advantages, components of a system and how to get started. Weather-permitting, participants will also examine a 1-kW generator. The owners will be available to discuss living with it.
Both classes will meet from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. at 1230 E. Honey Creek Road, Oregon, Ill.
A donation of $60 for non-IREA members (which includes membership) and $35 for members is suggested for both classes. The IREA is a 501(c)(3) organization.
The IREA hosts the annual Renewable Energy and Sustainable Lifestyle Fair as well as similar classes each year. For more information, e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org or phone (815) 732-7332.
From the April 28-May 4, 2010 issue