- Food Bank joins national #GivingTuesday movement
- Lee Hamilton: What lies ahead for Congress
- Rockford Public Schools faces $8.8 deficit, board OKs flat tax, HR chief
- Literary Hook: A holiday tradition: ‘This Thanksgiving, Remember’
- Cold snap does not negate global warming
- Week 13 NFL picks: Bears will hand Lions another Turkey Day loss
- Rockford’s holiday tradition Stroll on State set for Saturday, Nov. 29
- Webb’s RVC Studio winter full of love stories
- Tube Talk: ‘American Masters: Bing Crosby Rediscovered’ to be featured on PBS
- Craft Beer Scene Around Rockford: A nice break-in beer for those who want to try bourbon barrel-aged beer
Hands-on PV class May 8, beginning wind class May 22
From press release
OREGON, Ill.—Does the idea of saving money on your energy bills interest you? Have you thought about generating your own electricity for your home? If so, you might be interested in the classes the Illinois Renewable Energy Association (IREA) will be offering near Oregon, Ill.
A hands-on PV (photovoltaic, solar electric) class will be Saturday, May 8. People attending this class will work with solar panels designed for a home installation and will actually assemble the entire installation, which will be ready for use by the end of the day.
Saturday, May 22, a beginning wind class will be held. It will provide a complete overview of wind power: what it is, how it works, advantages, components of a system and how to get started. Weather-permitting, participants will also examine a 1-kW generator. The owners will be available to discuss living with it.
Both classes will meet from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. at 1230 E. Honey Creek Road, Oregon, Ill.
A donation of $60 for non-IREA members (which includes membership) and $35 for members is suggested for both classes. The IREA is a 501(c)(3) organization.
The IREA hosts the annual Renewable Energy and Sustainable Lifestyle Fair as well as similar classes each year. For more information, e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org or phone (815) 732-7332.
From the April 28-May 4, 2010 issue